Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help Please

Rate this question

Speaking Out

Question

I had spoken to all of my doctors at the VA, PC, mental health, Gyn and asked them to write a request for me to be seen by outside physicians due to my experience at this VA and they all agreed that it would be good for me to receive my care outside of that VA hospital. I was told previously that the PC portion had been approved. This morning at 0745 I got a phone call from Jenny Gatchel the manager of fee services and she informed me that the chief of staff Dr. Conti denied the requests, but gave no reason. I can write a letter to appeal the decision. If requests from my treating physicians aren't enough what is it that I can say in a letter that will change this doctor's mind? I am so upset. I have been waiting to go to the doctor until I didn't have to go to the VA again because I was lead to believe that with my history and my doctors saying it would be best for me that it would get approved. I sit here is so much pain that I just have to live with and I am so sick of fighting this system. What should I do?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

UPDATE...Called VAMC today and couldn't get through to a patient advocate, first two attempts went to advocates who's voice mail said they are out of the office and not to leave them a message and third attempt went to the general mail box. I called back and ask for the administration office. Shirley the secretary for the "Acting" Hospital Administrator, and the "Acting" Chief of Staff took my call and information and said she would do some checking and call me back. She called back to tell me that the two acting Chiefs and the Women's Coordinator are meeting on Tuesday at 10 AM to discuss this. I requested to be at the meeting. Shirley told me that it was an internal meeting. I explained that it was a meeting about my health care and that I was formally requesting to be present at the meeting and that I would like to have copies of the consults that Dr. Conti received prior to her denial. Shirley said she would let Dr. Klotz and Dr. Conti know of my requests and get back to me. I also left a message for the Women's Coordinator. Is there anything else I should do? I want to cover all of my bases so that I can get this done.

I am glad that this seems to have gone to higher ups-

but then again- the results are still up in the air-

you might be able to get a copy of this internal meeting under the FOIA-

but they could say it is priviledged and not public-

--- best to wait and see what happens.

And even better if they allow you to be present.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The women's coordinator is supposed to call me today before she goes home. I'll keep you posted.

Well, the women's coordinator never called, but I called her today and she said nothing has changed since Friday and that the denial letter was typed today and will be sent out to me. I got a call from the office of the Medical Inspector for the VA from Washington today and he said he would call the hospital administrator and speak with him. Whether or not this will do any good is beyond me, but I am on my way to the local ER to take care of me. As this guy said, the system is on going, but I have to take care of myself. I am in physical pain and I am mad and that makes the physical pain worse which makes me madder and then it just goes and goes. Sorry for the rant.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hang in there you are in my prayers.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

The VA faxed me the letter today. Here is their decision...

Dear Ms. Wilken:

The Richard L Roudebush VA medical Center has received your request to obtain your healthcare outside of the VA.

We understand that you have had an unfavorable experience with our clinics; Dr. Andrea Conti Assistant Chief of Staff, has reviewed your medical records and is approving outside services for your gynecological care by a provider of your choice in the local community. The Indianapolis VA Medical Center will contiue to provide you with your orimary care and your mental health care based on your eligibility. You may appeal this decision, in writing, to Dr. Pamela Reeves, Chief Medical Officer for VISN 11 at PO box 134002, Ann Arbor, MI, 48113-4002.

The letter goes on to say that I am to contact the women's coordinator prior to any appointment and if I can't reach her to leave her the info on her voice mail. It doesn't tell me how long I have to appeal. If you notice the letter points out that I had "an unfavorable experience in our clinics but they are only approving me to go outside for care for one of their clinics. It is a start and I'll go from here. I think Pete said I only have 30 days to appeal. I have requested my records so that I can see what the consults my doctors wrote say so that I can do my appeal correctly. What do you think?