VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

All Military Service Members, And Young Veterans, As You Make Your New Year's Resolutions

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Source: The Meridian Star 01/05/2008

http://www.meridianstar.com/local/local_story_004233833.html

New Year's resolutions

By Bobbye C. Jerone / guest columnist

Another year has come and gone. As one year ends and another begins, the news media has a field day talking about the worst of this, and the best of that. The "Man of the Year" "Event of the Year", "Catastrophe of the Year", etc. is chronicled. Most of us look back at the things we could or should have changed, or done differently, and look forward to what we hope to do better in the coming year. And, most of us make resolutions.

At this time of reflection, our country is still at war. World events seem to be spiraling out of control. It is a good thing to take stock. Not as many of our young heroes are dying in this war, but more of them are coming home maimed for life. Thanks to the medical advances learned in previous wars, especially Vietnam, we are saving more lives, but have more crippled old-young, who are disabled for life.

So to all military service members, and young veterans, as you make your New Year's resolutions, please consider a few things we have covered before in this column:

A) Resolve to keep up with your own medical records; and the names of the folks you served with in Iraq, Afghanistan, or one of the other world combat zones. The military is a big organization. Under the best of conditions in a large organization records can get lost. A lot of disability claims of Vietnam veterans are denied by VA because the veteran can't prove when something happened; or who was a witness to an incident. Don't let this happen to you if you get injured, or become ill. And, remember that the burden of proof is on the veteran. A few bad persons who have faked records and filed phony claims have made the VA process even more difficult for everyone.

B) Resolve to get organized! Keep your records in chronological order! It is a good idea to make copies and keep them as your 'working copy.' Keep the originals in a safe place so that if something happens to the copies, your claim can still go forward. The more organized your records are, the easier it will be for VA to adjudicate your claim quickly.

C) Resolve that if you are offered medical severance pay you will ask questions. Ask a lot of questions. And demand answers. Be polite, but demand answers. Know your options, and get them in writing. If you are offered medical severance pay at the time of your medical separation, and take it, any VA disability compensation awarded will be offset dollar for dollar. Ask your doctor for advice; his/her first priority is you, the patient. When you accept a medical separation, you are waiving any rights to retirement benefits forever.

D) Resolve to not put off getting medical help, especially if you can't sleep or feel the world is caving in. Thanks, in large part to what the Vietnam veterans went through, the active duty military now offers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder screening and counseling. The VA healthcare system also now has special staff to address these issues. The 'stigma' of mental and emotional wounds has been lifted to a large degree. So get help quickly. PTSD is a treatable medical condition and there is no reason to let it ruin your life.

As 2008 begins, all of us should realize that the world is a very dangerous place, and the finest of our youth are standing between us and even more disaster. We should all make our most serious New Year's resolution to be even more supportive of these heroes. As the New Year begins, please resolve to show a veteran that you care, and appreciate, him or her.

Bobbye C. Jerone is an

Independent Veterans Advocate, and president of American Legion

Auxiliary Unit No. 257. She may be reached at Bvj1101@bellsouth.net or (601) 679-5055.

Source: The Meridian Star 01/05/2008

http://www.meridianstar.com/local/local_story_004233833.html

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

What an important article-thanks Tbird

I am going to contact this person-

Even the Marine Corps Gazette-in this month's issue, has an article on PTSD-

I havent had time to read it yet-but positive approaches in the media to this byproduct of warfare is alleviating the terrible stigma our Vietnam vets got- (I hope)

I am going to ask this advocate who wrote this to be on my radio show at SVR-we are reaching many many Iraq and Afganistan servicemen and women who are still in country.

They need this info and all they can get on the VA claims process and how to get help for PTSD.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Founder

have you checked out the site http://www.iava.org/

also i would like to get together with the svr folks, i think we could put something on the site with a link to the show and maybe put some archives, or something.

What an important article-thanks Tbird

I am going to contact this person-

Even the Marine Corps Gazette-in this month's issue, has an article on PTSD-

I havent had time to read it yet-but positive approaches in the media to this byproduct of warfare is alleviating the terrible stigma our Vietnam vets got- (I hope)

I am going to ask this advocate who wrote this to be on my radio show at SVR-we are reaching many many Iraq and Afganistan servicemen and women who are still in country.

They need this info and all they can get on the VA claims process and how to get help for PTSD.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Tbird- that is a great idea-

Jerrel Cook might be the one to contact-

jeecook@sbcglobal.net

and-of course- Jeff at Stardust Radio-he has done considerable work to establish many PC radio shows that vets from all wars as well as active military can find extremely helpful.

At least four or five of our members here have also been on the shows- and each provided fabulous claims info and the comradery that we all need dealing with VA and disabilities.

http://www.stardustent.com/ 'contact us' button to reach Jeff

By the way the United We Roll Tour show has lots of input frpm servicemen and women overseas- there are many vet-military shows there all week long-

I have been meaning to do something that will help-

our archives are growing there and I forget what shows were when-

someone asked me about a show I did months ago with John Rossie, Blue Water Vietnam Veterans Assoc. and I cant remember when that was in the archives.

I have to listen to the beginning of each show in the archives, see who the guest was and what topic they had-

and make a reference list-it would help anyone who wants to hear a specific topic to find the broadcast easier.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.