Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Experience With Va

Rate this question

One-Zero

Question

Hello All,

I'm recently retired (SEP 2007) after 24 years service. I began the claims process while on active duty under the BDD program. My claim was submitted on April 23rd 2007 and boarded(decided?) 20 Dec 2007. I received the award letter in the mail on Dec 26th, 2007...I felt the process was pretty timely considering some of the dismal stories I've heard, the most frustrating part was having absolutely NO IDEA where my claim was during the interim period, regardless of IRIS queries or 1-800 calls.

I submitted 32 separate items on my claim, figuring I'd go for broke while everything was still fresh and I had the inclination to comb thru my SMR on active duty. I received 80% SC for the first 10 items; 30, 20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10. Then 0% SC for the next eleven items I claimed, then NSC/denied for the remaining 11 issues.

This was literally done in order as if someone saw the big ol' claim and said "hell, lets give him the first 10 and maybe he won't bother with the rest"...

I'm rather thankful for the 80%, apart from the $ which is much needed, I understand I now have access to medical care whether the problem is SC or not because I'm over 50%, which was my major concern.

What I'd like advice on is whether I should leave well enough alone or perhaps get an IMO for the remaining items??? There's plenty of documentation in the record but I really don't know what more I could expect...many of the conditions are probably masked by others.

For example, the 2nd item (20%) is for Cervicular Radiculopathy with Myelopathy due to traumatic C-spine degenerative disk disease status post cervical fracture...

but item #32 (NSC) is Residuals of Multiple Brain Concussions (closed head injuries) even though it's well documented and they even say so in the letter, but I don't know which one causes some of the problems - more than likely it's a cumulative combination.

It's as if they gave up rating after the first ten items.

I'm not bucking for dollars here, as long as I can be treated I hope I'm going to be ok...and I certainly don't want the VA tinkering with stuff unless it's absolutely required.

any thoughts or experience with such a situation???

best regards,

One-Zero

De Oppresso Liber

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Filippi >DAV National Service Officer,Supervisor in DAV

VARO Federal Bulding,RM1229

31 Hopkins Plaza

Baltimore,MD21201

410-230-4440 B) :) B)

Thanks Maurice, You have 1st hand experience with him - does he get the job done?

De Oppresso Liber

one-zero

Sent you a copy of MY NOD hope you can work with it

Jim

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

One-Zero,

Your post really hit home to me. My BDD claim was almost exactly one month behind yours, retired 1 Nov. I called VA 1000 number this past Friday, and was told that I came in at 90%, what a huge relief just to know. I still do not know how the claim broke down as I claimed 14 seperate issues but should have the hard copy in a few days.

My question to you is how long from the time you received your letter until you received the retro in the bank, the 1000 said it would take a while since it had to be processed by DFAS and then VA would release the funds; However from the sounds of your post it did not take that long.

I want to tell everyone on this site that I owe the much of my claim success to those of you at HadIt. I startet lurking around on this site about a year before my retirement, it helped me put together a soldid package to VA. I am sure I will continue to use the expert advice in any future ventures with VBA (as I am sure there will be).

Thanks to all

CAVMSG