Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Due To Wrong Contact Info/ C&p Tomorrow

Rate this question

Quint7

Question

Hi all, I'm a 38 y/o firefighter, 1st Gulf War USMC vet. Currently 0% for my knee.

Long story short, after a year I am finally getting my C&P exam tomorrow. I am in Rochester NY so I'm based out of Buffalo VA. I have had knee and back probs since my service (88-94). Knee is well documented, back just as a 'sprain" accordingto the navy doc. Filed for both upon discharge... never thought about it again. Went to college, blah, blah, blah. Collected GI Bill from discharge until 3 years later.

Turns out my back is toast (two discs GONE in lower back. Doc says "you have made the wrong career choices son") and knee was exactly what Navy docs THOUGHT it wasall along, (torn meniscus for 15 YEARS!) but told me "we cant figure it out... tough it out Marine.)

As I reviewed everything to take with me tomorrow (actual MRI films, doc reports, military health records), I thought about this:

I asked for a copy of ALL VA records for me. They gave me them and it said that VA tried to contact me after discharge for exam and letter was returned as undeliverable so claim was denied. I collected GI Bill during that entire time! I called VA and they said "medical is different, doesn't matter if educational had contact info, YOU should've contacted medical to update your info".

Well I think that is dumb as hell, but if that isn't enough, I was denied this time around for the same thing. When I got my letter telling me that I called VA and they saidthat I refused, BY TELEPHONE to report. I called the VA here in Rochester and the lady said that SHE spoke to me and I emphatically denied wanting an exam. I finally got herto tell me the number she had and it was my number from 1994 in Los Angeles! She then said "well I never even bothered to send the letter out, the guy was so emphatic about not wanting an exam".

Obviously VA has the right info now and the lady that did that "has moved on" I was told.

VA did give me 0% for the knee off of records only when they denied me this time.

My questions are:

No matter what I'm awarded, should I appeal, get a lawyer, something, trying to get the entire claim backdated to 1994 for a pattern of not following contact proceedures, etc? The "VA" did have contact info for me...... how else could I have received the GI Bill all of that time?

What sould I bring, tell, do at the C&P? My situation is totally legit. Surgery to knee for meniscus tear that first was diagnosed in 1989. Discs totally gone in lower back w/ pain radiating to leg and almost total lack of flexability left, right and forward.

Thanks for this site. I have looked at it a lot, but wanted to post to see if there was a similar situation or something.

Jason

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Bernard Brown-know him-

he suggested strongly last Jan that I had won my claim-

He's OK most of the time but I dont think he is always accurate-

He got ticked at me too in Iris email-even repeated his Answer in bigs caps in a second email- I loved it- he was confirming and supporting something I used against them in my claim!

<_<

Sometimes the VA has foot in mouth disease-to our benefit.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.