Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Till I Get Backpay

Rate this question

timetowinarace

Question

I was awarded Nov 30 and got first check yesterday for Dec payment. When I called last week to check on things I was only told they are working on it. Regular payments was the only thing she could tell me about. The letter I got last week had the breakdown(dates) on the backpay, monthly amount and medicare deductions so I would think they shouldn't need too much more time to figure it out. OH, I forgot about the deduction for the attorney. Maybe that is a hold up.

It is substantial amount going back to mid '03 so it's hard to be patient. I called child support and reported the award today because of back child support. (I did not volunteer but did report my VA beniffits out of principal, my daughter had turned 18 and was on her own when I got that award.)It does not matter too much if they get the lump from backpay or standard monthly deductions but because I'm a butthead and my daughter no longer lives with her mother, I would rather her mother not get a lump sum.(I treat people as I have been treated, I'll just put it that way) She deserves and will get the money but.........

Time

Edited by timetowinarace

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yeah, my wife got hers pretty quick too. But she didn't have a hearing, or attorney.

According to the ALJ, the attorney may or may not request payment since I fired him. Had he done his job I would have won the first hearing. He had no part of my review council request nor the remanded hearing. Becuase I fired him, he may not do the paperwork on his end in a timely manner. I know they won't send backpay untill his amount is approved. I guess I'll find out. I had forgoten about the attorney discrepency when I posted.

Time

I called SS this morning about backpay. Here is the scoop.

The Dept. that does backpay received my award information Dec 24.

They started working on it today, Jan 30. The hold up? Backlog.

The gal I talked to was very nice and knowledgable. She said it takes any where from 2 months to 9 months to proccess backpay. It's been two months to the day now.

The reason for the long delay? She said that SS must verify if I have recieved any type of disability insurance or financial assistance (private insurance, state programs) for each month of the five years of retro. And also any attorney fees.

She said because the award was so large and covered such a long time period, it will take them awhile to proccess it.

In short, it may be another seven months if you can imagine that.

OUCH.

Time

I bet if I owed a $45,000 overpayment it wouldn't take nine months to proccess.

Edited by timetowinarace