Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Missed Appt

Rate this question

LOA

Question

I really need some help. I am part of the BDD (filing VA claim while processing for retirement from military). I had my 1st C/p which was phase 2 of my retirement physical and then my Nurse Pratictioner scheduled me for a Psyc eval for depression. She called and sccheduld the appointment and as she said it I wrote it down. 10:00 today- when I showed up for appointment they said it was scheduled for 10:00 yesterday and I no showed it. Now they say they can not reschedule it until I officially retire and get my initial claim. Some how this does not seem fair. My actual retirement date is not until Aug, which is when the claim will be adjudicated. I know without the C/P exam for depression they will not rate me, So I will have to refile. After what I read that could take forever. You would think that VA would want to get it right the first time. Also it looks like I didn't show up when in fact there was a misunderstanding on what date it was. The NP never gave me anything with the date and time but I am very careful about writing down everything because of my other illnesses.

Anyone have any ideas what I can or should do, now?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I wish I knew what to tell you. You could try speaking to the supervisor of the C&P section at your VAMC and see if they won't straighten it out. You could also try calling the 800# and trying to speak with someone above a operator that might be able to straighten it out (I doubt you'll get much going this route, though). I hope somebody can post up with better info than I have on this. Good luck on getting it rescheduled.

90%, TDIU P&T

Thanks rick,

I tried that and although she remembers me writing it down, she said there is nothing she can do. She gave me the phone number to the people who do the scheduling and they said because the request is closed, now that I no showed that they can't reschedule it. They said they need a new order/request to schedule another appointment but no one will tell me how to do that. I just keep getting the run around.

LOA wrote: *filing VA claim while processing for retirement from military*...

1.) is you are still active duty military...do you have a record of depression in your service medical records?

if so you will be service connected...I could be wrong but as long as you have documentation that you have been seen for depression then it is service connected...also when you retire you will fill out a form and I belive depression will be one of the question for mental health...BE SURE TO CHECK EVERYTHING THAT APPLIES AND GET A COPY OF THAT FORM.

2.) this will be a good time to go through your miltary service record with a fine tooth comb...if you are having sleeping problems and you snore...you should report that and have them put you in for a sleep study...many veterans that work rotating shifts will develp sleep apeanea..and it is hell trying to get it s/c once you retire...also if you notice that your blood pressure is high...LOOK THROUGH YOUR RECORDS...bring the high bp readings to the attention of your primary care doctor to so you can have a 3 day bp check...and if you have hypertention it will be then in your medical records...the same for high chol.

it is not uncommon for vets to have hypertension and not know it...how many doctors does one see in a life time..do you think that they read your past medical records to see a pattern...they will only find a pattern when you have a heart attack..so please have that checked into.

and a three day bp I believe is what the VA will look favorable on.

come to think about it...I believe that within a month after you retire you either have an appointment made for you to go to the VA or you can go up there and they will have you fill out paperwork as to what you are service connected for and they will check over your service medical records...

hope this helps

MT

Edited by mountain tyme

Have you had your seperation Physical yet? If not, make sure that all your concerns are looked into prior to signing any release papers. The mililitary must dealy seperation if any physical and/or mental concerns you have are not met or resolved in your seperation physical. I would check first with the seperation clerk or office and make an inquiry and/or request for further study of those medical issues that concern you or maybe responsible for your being seperated from service. Request a Medical board summery of your inservice diagnosises. Try to document everything you can before signing your final seperation papers.

Sorry, however this may delay your seperation, so be prepared to spend more time in service. It's in your best interests. It may even allow for a rescheduling a C&P exam.

Like others have said. Mark anything that is shown in your medical records, even if it may seem as triffle as sinisitis, especially if it was not present upon intrance in the service. periodic visits for spains, bumps bruses that have left pains and/or even soarness that never seem to entirely go away. Most of all, make sure you have a current dental and eye check and not just a routine look see, but with xrays for teeth and eye exam for field and ocular pressure. Check to make sure you are checked for diabetes and if your 40 or 50 yrs old, get a stress test as part of your discharge physical. A current sleep study if you snore or have daytime somulance. fatigue or fall asleep during the day.

Don't stop asking for everything you can get to document. Do forget that you may have to stay in longer. Don't let them rush you into signing any dishcharge papers before you feel you have covered all your medical needs.

My Father died while I was a patient in the hospital, as I got better all I could think about was getting out and getting home to help comfort my mother. At the time it sounded like the best thing for me, cause it would have otherwise have delayed my discharge for a couple of months. But now 30 plus years later and no SC benefits, it was the worst thing I could have done.

Good luck and let us know how things progress or end up. A lot of times we hear from Veterans asking questions, but never hear how things turned out.

Rockhound :unsure:

p.s. once out of the service, if you can afford it, start seeing a psychiatrist for your depression, make sure you document their diagnosis and a nexus statement as to SC. You could still see a VA psychiatrist, but have your private psychiatrist see what they write to either concure or rebut their findinds. If the VA doesn't give you a battery of psychological tests, make sure your private psychologist does. I wouldn't tell the VA psychiatrist about your private psychiatrist, unless you are being medicated, then it may be necessary for the two to know about the other.

Edited by Rockhound

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

The Patient's advocate at that VAMC might be able to help you on this.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.