Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Called The Patient Advocate

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Afternoon to all,

I called the Patient Advocate this morning and Michelle returned my call this afternoon. After I read the disapproval letter to her, she told me that I needed to call the Fee Basis number that was listed on the letter and ask them what other information do I need to submit in order to prove my case. Otherwise, I should prepare a statement as to what happened and also mention the fact that I spoke to my PCP and he wrote a note in the computer. I should also mention that I am in the Independent Living Program through Chapter 31 and that the doctors basically told me that I had a Panic attack. I called the Fee Basis and had to leave a message and they said my call would be returned in the order in which it was received. So, I guess I'll just get my stuff together, and send in an appeal.

So, can someone tell me what is the point of calling a patient advocate?

Cherie33

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks, I thought it fit me perfectly.

Cherie, again, we hope you will stay...

Forgive me, Please.

I am just feeling really bad now. I cannot pay for a hospital stay, and if I thought for 1 minute that I was having a Panic attack, I would have went to the VA Hospital in Gainesville! I don't want to have to go through this stuff with the VA...I am already under alot of pressure.

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

Cheri, it sounds like you did your part, now its time for the er. professionals to respond in kind. Just dont let up. Having a panic attack is a serious health effect that needs resolved, I believe. Please retell your PCP your current dilema and status, do ask for a advocate (by name/telephone#), to help prevent possible future panic attacks. Is there a local vet center counselor maybe? Your health care is what its all about and being self advocate is work. Dont mean to preach to the choir, but I have mdd and Hadit sure gets me fired up to 'ask' for help. :rolleyes:Thinking the best for you, cg

Afternoon to all,

I called the Patient Advocate this morning and Michelle returned my call this afternoon. After I read the disapproval letter to her, she told me that I needed to call the Fee Basis number that was listed on the letter and ask them what other information do I need to submit in order to prove my case. Otherwise, I should prepare a statement as to what happened and also mention the fact that I spoke to my PCP and he wrote a note in the computer. I should also mention that I am in the Independent Living Program through Chapter 31 and that the doctors basically told me that I had a Panic attack. I called the Fee Basis and had to leave a message and they said my call would be returned in the order in which it was received. So, I guess I'll just get my stuff together, and send in an appeal.

So, can someone tell me what is the point of calling a patient advocate?

Cherie33

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Cheri, it sounds like you did your part, now its time for the er. professionals to respond in kind. Just dont let up. Having a panic attack is a serious health effect that needs resolved, I believe. Please retell your PCP your current dilema and status, do ask for a advocate (by name/telephone#), to help prevent possible future panic attacks. Is there a local vet center counselor maybe? Your health care is what its all about and being self advocate is work. Dont mean to preach to the choir, but I have mdd and Hadit sure gets me fired up to 'ask' for help. :rolleyes:Thinking the best for you, cg

Hey There Cowgirl, Thanks for your comments.

However, I am 50% disabled for "Major Depressive Disorder with Pyschotic Features" and 30% disabled for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (which is caused by the mdd. I do have panic attacks from time to time, however I never had one like that. That's why I didn't think that's what it was. I have a Pyscologist and a Psychiatrist and I have a VA Primary Care Physician that see's me for my IBS and any other aliment that I have going. I currently have a claim in for TDIU and I am participating in the Independent Living Program thru Chapter 31, because I cannot work. Vocational Rehab decided that it was not feasible for me to return to gainful emplyment.

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

There is really no valid reason for VA not to pay your claim Cherrie. There is another avenue if you want to give up on VA.

Most hospitals have a policy to write off all or some portion of bills for those who cannot afford care. When you contact the hospital ask for Patient financial services and ask how you apply for there discounts. If you have not significant income, they are likely to write off a large percentage. These policies generally apply to the any balance you may have after insurance has paid. Physicians are the most difficult to work with but again go directly to them and their billing person.

As long as you are working with them, you may be able to hold off collection reporting and actions.

You don't even have to pay much. My wife had a panic attack ER visit and the Hospital assumed that we would not pay and offered us 19 dollar a month payments and said would write it off in a year or 2.

That said I would just hammer the VA. Cite the regs about 50% and over Service Connected Veterans. Also that the VA told you to go to ER.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey back at'ya dear Cheri. I've mdd and other sc issues here. I too have a claim in for increase/tdiu, other claim issues going in for sc also. Yes, there are VA benefits and the dreaded paperwork to get them. Cheri, hope your ILP Ch.31 continues to balance out for you, from what I read, it sounds supportive. The way I look at it, I did military service of 24/7 for a career, now I truly 'work' for much needed care and benefits. Sure would help to have tdiu since I havent worked since discharge, I really need to be healthy for self and family. While I work to get whats due, I do count many blessings; Hadit, vso's, 4 VA doc/pa's, 2 private docs, physical therapist, husband and kiddos. Take care, gotta do my chores, cg

Hey There Cowgirl, Thanks for your comments.

However, I am 50% disabled for "Major Depressive Disorder with Pyschotic Features" and 30% disabled for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (which is caused by the mdd. I do have panic attacks from time to time, however I never had one like that. That's why I didn't think that's what it was. I have a Pyscologist and a Psychiatrist and I have a VA Primary Care Physician that see's me for my IBS and any other aliment that I have going. I currently have a claim in for TDIU and I am participating in the Independent Living Program thru Chapter 31, because I cannot work. Vocational Rehab decided that it was not feasible for me to return to gainful emplyment.

Cherie33

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Cherie33,

Keep your chin up. There are better days to come. My wife has panic attacks and although I have never had to experience one I kind of experience them through her. It sucks. Sounds like the TDIU claim will be a winner if Voc Rehab said it isn't feasible to work. I have had success with talking to the director's office of my VAMC when I have had a problem with a department or a patient rep. They have resolved my issues every time. Good luck to you. Tomorrow will be a better day than today. DJ8 :rolleyes: :)