VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Software For Better Security

wallyg

• HadIt.com Elder

Some FREE software that I have found to be VERY good in protecting against many of the MALWARE problems on the net.

AntiVirus: Tried AVG, good, but 'AVAST' is better.

Browser:IE ok, but the 'AVANT' shell on top of IE is better; Firefox is better, but some sites are not friendly; Opera is better still.

Security Suite:'ewido' is OUTSTANDING.

Misc: 'a squared' (EMSI software) does a great job on Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware.

'Spyware Blaster' and the accompanying 'Spyware Guard' add protection against a lot more than just spyware.

Spyware Doctor' is also very useful; 'Win-Patrol' lets you know if anything is setting new start-up software.

E-MAIL:'Thunderbird' offers much better protection than any other freeware mailer I have tried. It can read just the headers, and you only download those messages you recognise. No more receiving everything willy-nilly. You select. Along with the fact that AVAST warns you of suspect messages, you have to be very careless, to get infected from your e-mail.

I am assuming that everybody already knows about Ad-Aware and Spybot SD.

You will find a freebie from MS (that uodates about twice a month) that checks for the CoolWeb malware, that is VERY difficult to remove, here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Some very good choices there.

Also if you are looking for a good freeware firewall Zone Alarm Free is not bad at all. I used the free version for 3 years. Past 2 years I have been using the Pro version. Very good tool over all. :)