Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chemical Exposure & Other Maladies

Rate this question

RSG

Question

I was wondering if you guy's know of a way to accquire information of diabetes cases and/or other pshycological issues,

after serving at Treasures Island, San Francisco. Reason I'm asking Is that all the Barracks were built on a Toxic Waste

site. I just want to see if there is any connection between the toxic waste and illnesses incurred after being stationed there.

Right now It's curiousity.

Thanks

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://www.scorecard.org/env-releases/land...id=CA1170090087

It is part of Superfund but I understand they have been cleaning it up-

if you have a disability that is directly medically attributable any of the toxic wastes at Treasure Island (with no other known etiology),and that toxins were there when you served-

and you can get a strong IMO for medical nexus as well as prove your direct exposure-to these toxins -you would have a valid claim-but it is not easy at all to succeed with this type of claim -

I know of no toxin accept for AO to cause DMII.There might be some Treasure Island vet cases at the BVA web site.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello RSG,

I was in medical holding a couple months on TI in 68', then assigned to Post Office for light duty. Went through two major overhauls at Hunters Point ship yard. Trained often at the damage control center.

I wish I could remember what squadron the USS Twining was assigned to in the 7th fleet. Any way, TI was home port. When in port, we trained, trained reserves.

I've learned that drums of radioactive disc's to make nuke weapons, were buried underneath the island, after one of the arms reduction agreements, post WWII.

I knew there was something about the beer at the NCO club that gave it an off taste.

Heres a few more links i'll toss in.

PUBLIC HEALTH ASSESSMENT

NAVAL STATION TREASURE ISLAND

HUNTERS POINT ANNEXSAN FRANCISCO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA

ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION AND OTHER HAZARDS

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/PHA/treasure/tre_p2.html

Federal Facilities Site Information

NPL (National Priority List) Sites

Region 9's, Pacific Southwest, Federal Facility National Priority Superfund List

http://www.epa.gov/region09/waste/sfund/fe...acsiteinfo.html

U.S. Nuclear Accidents

16 May 1969

The U.S.S. Guitarro, a $50 million nuclear submarine undergoing final fitting in San Francisco Bay, sank to the bottom as water poured into a forward compartment. A House Armed Services subcommittee later found the Navy guilty of "inexcusable carelessness" in connection with the event.

http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html#subs

I have found that the dioxins are what caused the DM type II, mine has progressed to type I, and I came up with it at 35 years. I have seen all but the List of Toxic waste found. But finding info with reference to Site\Area 12, where the barracks were Is a little shakey. I know that there has got to be more vets out there that are battling the same type of illnesses. I've done the research, and I think this exposure caused my problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

warning! May be offensive to some due to one picture of nudity

The Story of Treasure Island

http://treasureislandfestival.com/island.php

There is one part that is mentioned about hostilities to wards military personnel by bay area residents. I don't remember reading about this before. I lived it, just don't remember reading anything about it, except this one jerk that said we all lied about the hostile treatment. Any service member coming and going out of San Francisco or Oakland after 1968, got the treatment first hand. There were many of us that took beatings and some died before the Navy made it mandatory shore leave or liberty with a buddy. Many of us chose to stay on base, where it was safe. And how safe was it?

We lived on this base. Took showers in it, washed our clothes, worked and trained on it and the SF people act like they're waiting for a new species to emerge from it, due to the toxins, "still" left behind.