Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A&a Vs Homebound

Rate this question

donews

Question

I am sorry in advance for possibly duplicating this question.

I know there have been some A&A questions recently but due to my mess of a brain I couldn't make much sense of the answers.

I am 70% SC from DMII,Retinopathy,Neuropathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Heart Attack, Bypass Surgery, AICD Implant, Congestive Heart Failure, and some others. Should be 100% if they ever fix things (I have an IRIS in for the messed up rating).

Basically, when I was released from the non-Va hospital a few weeks ago, the sent me Home Healthcare for follow up visits.

Once the Home Health Nurse realized my EF was at 22% and that I had multiple complications she requested a Hospice consult for me. She and others felt I needed oxygen, but the VA said I didn't qualify.

The hospice people came out and said I qualified and that Medicare would pay for everything.

They faxed orders to my VA PCP and he signed off on Hospice Care, so now I am receiving Hospice Care, which is nice because they are providing me oxygen, hospital bed, and pain management (the VA knows nuthing about pain management).

They send a nurse to my house 3 times a week, a health aide 3 times a week, and a case manager at least 1 time a week.

Before Hospice, my son has cared form me since 2003 when I lost my job due to my disabilities.

He quit work and they changed their lives to make sure I was being cared for.

Ok so now you know some of the specifics, here goes my questions:

Is A&A or Homebound something I should be eligible for?

Which should I apply for?

Which one gives more benefit?

Is it just more assistance or is it an added amount to my compensation?

Do I apply like regular claims or do I need to apply with a specific form or to a specific place?

If the DAV ever decides to help me out I might get more done sooner, but for now I am on my own (well my son assists me) with the claims.

Donewsome

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you should discuss what you need with a VA social Worker.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

You want the higest level of A&A. Housebound is paid to someone who cannot leave the confines of their property due to sc'd disabilities. A&A is provided for someone who isn't necessarily housebound, but does need help in performing normal daily activities (dressing, bathing, toileting, feeding, grooming, etc.). Both of these are paid at the "L" level of SMC. When someone requires professional assistance with meds, etc., they qualify for a higher level of A&A, becuase CNA's and home health workers can cost quite a bit of money. This is paid at the "R1" rate of smc. When someone is in your condition and requires in home hospice care, and other in home care (i.e. O2, etc.), then they qualify for the highest level of A&A, which is paid at R2.

I would file a claim for special monthly compensation due to the need for aid and attendance of another person, and specifically request the rating of "R2." Include the documentation of everything that you've described below with the claim. Also, if possible, get your VA PCP to write a statement to the effect that you are in need of regular A&A of highly trained medical personell.

Hope this helps.

90%, TDIU P&T

You want the higest level of A&A. Housebound is paid to someone who cannot leave the confines of their property due to sc'd disabilities. A&A is provided for someone who isn't necessarily housebound, but does need help in performing normal daily activities (dressing, bathing, toileting, feeding, grooming, etc.). Both of these are paid at the "L" level of SMC. When someone requires professional assistance with meds, etc., they qualify for a higher level of A&A, becuase CNA's and home health workers can cost quite a bit of money. This is paid at the "R1" rate of smc. When someone is in your condition and requires in home hospice care, and other in home care (i.e. O2, etc.), then they qualify for the highest level of A&A, which is paid at R2.

I would file a claim for special monthly compensation due to the need for aid and attendance of another person, and specifically request the rating of "R2." Include the documentation of everything that you've described below with the claim. Also, if possible, get your VA PCP to write a statement to the effect that you are in need of regular A&A of highly trained medical personell.

Hope this helps.

What about if you need a home excersice program and physical therapy on a daily basis for which your spouse is been instructed and doctor is monitoring.

• HadIt.com Elder

windy city...I would think that would possibly qualify for the regular level of A&A, BUT, you have to prove that you need help with the things listed in the criteria, such as dressing, bathing, toileting, and avoiding the hazards of everyday life.

90%, TDIU P&T