Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Does It Take?

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

The last written status I had from the VARO was "In response to your inquiry of 19 September, 2005. Your disability claim is currently before a Rating Board for a decision. You should receive written notification of our decision in approximately 60 days."

Well, it's past 60 days and when I called the 800 number all I was told was my claim is pending!

How long does it normally take once the claim is before the rating board?

Also, I will more than likely have to submit a NOD as my Marine buddy with three purple hearts just received a rating for 30% for PTSD and I feel the same would happen to me. He had filed his claim just one month before I did and he received his rating already a month ago.

Is submitting a NOD, waiting for response and skip requesting a DRO the best way to go if it is unfavorable? And then bypass DRO and go straight to the BVA docket?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rocky

I don't think there is any real time frame for getting a decision when your claim is at the rating board. Just keep calling every few weeks to check on the status.

I agree, Rocky, calling is good. About two weeks after I submit a claim, I start calling at least once a week. Don't hesitate to call, thinking it might hurt your case. Especially after the VA's self-imposed 60 days have expired. Of course, you know VA time estimates don't mean anything on its side, just on the vet's side.

Also, I encourage you to keep the faith. Don't compare your case with your buddy's, because that doesn't mean anything about yours. Each case is different and each rater is different. I'm sorry your buddy didn't get a higher rating, but if I understand it correctly, the rating is based on more than the Purple Hearts after the initial stressor determination.

Carrie

The last written status I had from the VARO was "In response to your inquiry of 19 September, 2005. Your disability claim is currently before a Rating Board for a decision. You should receive written notification of our decision in approximately 60 days."

Well, it's past 60 days and when I called the 800 number all I was told was my claim is pending!

Also, I will more than likely have to submit a NOD as my Marine buddy with three purple hearts just received a rating for 30% for PTSD and I feel the same would happen to me. He had filed his claim just one month before I did and he received his rating already a month ago.

Is submitting a NOD, waiting for response and skip requesting a DRO the best way to go if it is unfavorable? And then bypass DRO and go straight to the BVA docket?

Rocky,

Take the advice of the other veterans. Don't give up! Call them weekly or bi-weekly remember you are your only advocate. I have in the past contacted my local Reps of my state, both local and federal. I have done that many times in cases such as yours. Don't always rely on your SO Rep if you have one. Keep the faith. God bless you.

Rocky,

From my expirence when I have received a rating that was not fair (there will be many) I have filed right away a NOD, and requested a hearing at the RO. I can only speak for myself, but I have had great success at DRO hearings, because everything you say is a matter of record unlike standard claims. I would suggest getting a service officer (be careful, some are useless and can damage your claims) Do not let the RO get to you. Get as much information about your disabilities as you possibly can. Find your nearest Vet Center you will most likely to get the true scoop there with help with your claims. God bless you.

Hey all,

I realize every case is different, but you see my buddy had a GAF of 53 and I have a GAF of 52 and we were in the Marines at the same time doing the same stuff is why I figured they would also give me a rating of the same 30% or less. Yes, I do have a service officer but he rarely if ever responds back to my inquiries or gives me answers like "The VA never called me back" after weeks or days later. Apparantley he hasn't learned the art of following up. I asked him once what was he going to do keep waiting year after year for the VA to return his call or was he going to call them back until he get's an answer? I'm on his shit list I suspect now. All of my C&P exams were completed on 27 July, 2005 and guess what?

Today I got a letter from the VA and thought it was my rating but it was a notification of an evaluation appointment to evaluate my thinking abilities, (memory, concentration, and problem solving) and my emotional condition. It said I am to be evaluated on 9 December, 2005.

I'm now wondering if this C&P is holding up my rating? However my VARO is Chicago and my claim was sent to Seattle, WA for rating back in middle September.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rocky

The most important thing in winning a claim is persistence. Whatever it takes to win the claim is what you must do. Just believe that you are not going to accept "NO" for an answer. If you get a statement of the case that statement will contain the clues you need to win. I think that just about everyone on Hadit who has persisted has won their claim eventually. We have had some very nervous people here but they won and I think you will win as well.