Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuropathy Caused By Vitamin Deficiency?!

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have neuropathy. Legs jingle, jangle, jingle as the old song says. EMG shows nerve damage in both legs though worse on the right. (right arm too.)

I'm claiming it as secoindary to lower back problems caused by altered gait due to sprained left ankle and flat feet.

So yesterday I see a doctor and he tells me it's probably from a vitamin deficiency??? ;)

He said if the blood work shows such, he'll order a series of vitamin injections. (and I hate needles!) This is supposed to make me feel better.

Is this for real??? I'm all for feeling better but why ain't I reassured. I can't see this helping my claim process either. ;)

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

Jayq, (just some food for thought)

Check the yellow pages for imaging centers that do MRI's. They will advertise their MRI machines. There are different kinds of MRI units. Obviously you would want the one with the best resolution... however,

more recent studies are showing that if you can find one in your area you should have your MRI test done in a machine where you can "STAND UP" in the machine rather than lie down.

The reason is.... when you lie down everything relaxes and returns to the "normal" position. When you stand up, your spine is compressed by the muscles and tendions etc.doing their job tightening to hold you up. Kindda like putting a marshmellow between your fingers and pushing down. Things kindda just push out at the sides. This is what our disc material does when standing especially if their is an injury or chronic long term problem.

If possible see if you can locate a standing unit. If not, well the results may be different.

I hope this helps,

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

jangrin has a good point. A MRI where you are sitting is even better than standing. I have had MRI's where you lay down, both open and standard, and one where you sit. The one where I was sitting was by far the most comfortable. Something you will need to consider, though, is that these will cost you money, especially if you don't have health insurance. I had insurance and mine still cost about $400 out of pocket. Your best bet is ti try to get one through the VA. If you are clausterphobic, they have to send you outside of the VA to an open MRI on fee basis. You may be able to get them to fee basis a standing or sitting MRI also. As far as the bloodwork goes, if you live close enough to the VAMC where it was done, you can go there this week and actually pick up the records at the Release of Information office. Good Luck!

90%, TDIU P&T