Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Jet Fuel & Diabetes

Rate this question

MidwayABH

Question

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I am wondering if there are any articles on Jet Fuel exposure & Diabetes. My Doctor seems to think that there is a possibility that my exposure to JP-5 may be a link to my diabetes.

If there are any USS Midway CV-41 flat-top Veterans' out there; you know that the JP-5 on the USS Midway was in everything, drinking water, showers, tap water (we used it for coffee & brushing our teeth); which ultimately lead to it being even in the food prepared on the mess deck. For those who don't know, you could take a (clear) glass and fill it up from any drinking fountain or tap and see the JP-5 floating on top. Unfortunately bottled water was not available on the ship at that time, so it was soda pop or JP-5 water; period.

I am a cold-war Veteran; which means I did not serve in any war times, I proudly served from 1979-1986.

Years later now; I am a type 1 diabetic and am wondering if it is due to my exposure to jet fuel. Can any one help me research this or know any thing that may help me get the VA to see that this was a problem & health risk to all who served aboard this ship and I am sure others ships too?

Please feel free to email me directly (tlee@twu514.org) or through post; whiche ever works best for you

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I know that MacDill AFB is considered a toxis waste site because of spilage of jet fuel. It is about five miles from my house and who knows if the groudwater has been contaminated. All we hear is silence.

I am in the appeal stage and just had my DRO hearing for illnesses and contact by skin (daily contact) with Jet Fuel, Leaded Gasoline, Diesel Fuel, and Trichloroethylene..

I might have some answers in a couple of months..

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

Well I guess growing up under the flight path to Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach, and getting jet fuel dumped on me all the time could have been the start of my type II diabetes. My two sisters also have it. Being at Naval Airstations while in the Navy and also flying Medevac's in the Coast Guard and exposure to JP 4, 5 and 8, I guess it's possible this caused my problems also my COPD, asthma etc.

Doc904