Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dmii Medications

Rate this question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

I have been diagnosed with DMII since 1976, I have had my blood sugar under control all that time with medications, since my open heart surgery last May it has been out of control, we have tried different meds to no avail. my average B/S reading has been 265 since then.

I now take Glyburide 5MG/Metformin HCL 500MG two tablets twice a day, and 10 units of Insulin at bedtime. The meter readings have not changed, I stick my fingers three times a day, 7 day's a week.

A friend has advised me to try taking to supplements 1. Chromium Picolinate 200MCGtwice daily, 2. Cinnamon Tablets 500MG 1 capsul twice a day with meals. Has anyone tried these and if so what were the effects.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Viet Nam Tanker,

My wife is Type II, and tried the cinnamon tablets a couple of years ago but they didn't seem to have any effect on her readings so she discontinued taking them. Don't know for sure if they were 500 mg or not.

I have heard that they work for some people so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try them for 3 or 4 months.

I think if you go to drweil.com he has some info on them as well as quite a few other sites.

I am type II with my reading going up around 170 in the last couple of months. Just today a began taking 500 mg of metforfin twice a day up from 500 mg once per day. Hope to stay away from the insulin as long as possible.

Hope you find something that helps. Sounds as if you will probably need to increase the insulin.

Good luck,

Ruffcreek

I suffer from DMII. Take insulin and pills. I would try the supplements but do not believe anything will get my BS under control as long as I have to deal with the idiots at the VA. Too much stress.

Guest terrysturgis

Advandia 8mg one daily and Metformin 500mg twice daily and my readings are around 130.

Tanker, sticking the finger gives an accurate reading but I prefer the One Touch meter as the process is painless and you can spread out the pokes to several places on your arms. The new meters are very accurate. Take care. Terry Sturgis

Well I must be one of the lucky ones in this area even though I have had the heart attack 05' and two separate heart sugeries to place stents. I have been taking metformin 2x a day 500mg and the BS level has been right around 120. But I have lost quite a bit of weight and I think that helps. I would check with me pc and see what they think.

Goodluck, Stillhere

My dad has diabetes and he takes several different supplements (vitamin D, C, and the B-complex).

I don't have diabetes but am constantly being checked for it because of my current condition and my dad having diabetes. Now, having stated all of that, I take several different supplements myself. I've learned that one supplement by itself is usually not enough "influence" to accomplish what you are hoping.

If I were you, I would try, in addition to the cinnamon: vitamin B-complex, probiotics, Milk Thistle, and Flaxseed (which has your Omega 3's). There is one more... something-Q10...(I don't have that one because it is pretty expensive)...but I plan to start taking it when the VA sends me my check (smile). I have actually been encouraged by my medical team to take daily supplements. But they didn't tell which ones. I made that choice based on what I read or researched. You can do an internet search under diabetes to see what else might help. Hope this helps you out.

TANKER. GOOD TO MEET YOU. I AM A 55 YR. USMC VET. i WAS NOT BOOTS ON IN THE VIET NAM WAR. THE DOCTORS FOUND THE DIABETES , HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,HIGH CHLOERERAL WHEN OI HAD MY BYPASS OPORATION . I AM TYPE 2 DIABETESI TAKE PILLS NOT INSULIN GLIPAZID, METFORMIN 500 HCL I WAS DISCHARGED WITH BI-POLAR.