Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reactive Airway Disease

Rate this question

JB3AFSP2

Question

Does anyone know if the VA considers Reactive Airway Disease (RAD) as Asthma? I've heard that there is some debate in the medical community as to whether or not RAD is just a form of asthma. I didn't find anything in the VA ratings guide regarding RAD.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had pneumonia recorded twice in my medical records during my service.  I started wheezing and having attacks where I couldn't breathe.  They diagnosed me with reactive airway disease.  Also, an entry in my medical records say I was having allergic reactions to the Ragweed.  The attacks didn't stop so I was medically discharged.  I had served almost a year.  My discharge was honorable, I was a good and proud Marine.  I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about five years ago after my primary referred me due to the daily symptoms of drowsiness, headaches, no energy, etc.  My oxygen level drops under 90 when I'm sleeping or trying to sleep.  I have the CPAP machine.  I have diabetes type 2, overweight by about 40-50 lbs, service connected severe arthritis in my knees and  back.  Add up the service connected disabilities its 130, but the rating is 80 after giving me 80 for my back alone.  I can't exercise enough to control my weight or diabetes.The more I read, I find that sleep apnea, obesity, and diabetes may all be secondary to my back and knees.  Sleep Apnea more common with being overweight, which is secondary to arthritis limitations causing inability to exercise.

The VA does SC Reactive airway disease

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files1/0801328.txt

In this case "The veteran's disability is evaluated under Diagnostic Code

6602, which addresses bronchia asthma"

This decision also shows how they determine the ratings.

Without a clear nexus in your SMRs to this condition -you will need a strong medical opinion that associates this disability to something in your service that caused it.

forgot to add- and you will need proof of exposure to whatever you claim caused this disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

They used my mos and statements to determine exposure while on active duty. I really did not prove much of anything.

These cases can get very complex and the VA only rates them when the are considered chronic. Do you know what triggers these events or do you always have ongoing symptoms.

In my SMR it was always in conjunction with Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis. I do much better now (been out almost 4 years) and I might use an inhaler no more than twice per year. This probably wouldn't be considered chronic.