VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependentparent/child Education Benefit(s)

Rate this question

tanker31

Question

I'am helping a vet with his claim. So far so good--got 70% first go around, put in for IU--got that also. At this point he is 100% P&T with CHAP.35 benefits. Veteran takes care of his 80 year old mother. He provides room, board, transportation ( all major living expenses ). I believe he can claim her as a dependent through the VA and receive additional monthly compensation. If this is correct, what form should we use, and what additional supporting documents should we include ( if any )? If the VA does allow him to claim her as a dependent, will she be eligable for CHAMPVA?

Veteran also has 25 yr. old daughter who has been attending college to obtain her degree in teaching--plans on going untill masters degree obtained. She works part time and attends college . His daughter has been attending college before he was declared 100% with Chap. 35 benefits. We are now applying at the college for her benefits. Is she able to declare/ask for reto. from the time she was eligable ( the date her father[ the veteran ] was declared 100% with Chap 35 benefits and attending school at that time )?

Thanks to All

Tanker31

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You have done GREAT work for this vet-I think that is wonderful-

extra comp for dependent parents depends on many factors-particularity on the parent's financial dependence on the veteran.

38 CFR 3.59

Here is the form:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-509-ARE.pdf

I dont know about the CHAMPVA question at all.

Chapter 35

Her CHap 35 cut off date might well be as soon as she turns 26 but-

"Is she able to declare/ask for reto. from the time she was eligable ( the date her father[ the veteran ] was declared 100% with Chap 35 benefits and attending school at that time )?"

If she attended a VA approved college (which most of them are VA approved)she should definitely ask VA to refund her tuition amounts per the Chap 35 guidelines for any payments she made within the veteran's EED for 100% P & T.

She will need her tuition payment proof and also her credit hour schedule.

It pays to hook up by email with the VA counselor at the school as well as with VA Educational Department-

once I did all that my Chap 35 went pretty smoothly-

I had to pay my tuition first, contact both the VA school counselor and VA Educational Dept with my course info and length of course and then the VA would reimburse me.

• HadIt.com Elder

tanker31,

Age 26 is cutoff for chpt 35 but they might be able to get it waivered fo a period.

The VA should retro the compensation for the time of P&T to present, the rate the VA pays is now at $867 per month for full time, this amount is to be used for anything she sees fit, she should also check for any state tuition waiver. Many States vary and some have nothing at all, but as Berta stated she needs to get with the school VA counsler ASAP to get the ball rolling.

I have 3 using it now, and the the smarter half of me will graduate in 2 weeks with 2 degrees and will continue another 36hours for another, grazy thing is , she wants to work for the VA hospital.....man are they in for it, mother in law was a BSN state inspector.

Good job Tanker. Good luck with the rest, things are looking good. I believe he should be paid under " with parent " column of the comp chart.