Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Office Of The Medical Inspector

Rate this question

goofycow

Question

I have a question about the Office of the Medical Inspector. I read on another vet group board that OMI (for short) might be interested in mistreatment received at a VAMC. I am still terribly P.O.ed about the way I was treated at a mental clinic outpatient clinic immediately following my husband's death. My congress people didn't get involved; they just believed the platitudes fed to them by VA. Sound familiar??

Has anyone on this board even heard of this office? If so, could I air my complaint there? Would they give a $#it?

Thanks

Liz

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Odd you asked this-I have recently contacted them myself.

Their contact info is at

http://www.omi.cio.med.va.gov/default.shtm

Liz -they just called me and I discussed my situation and they are going to look into it and get back to me as soon as they can.It isnt at all like your situation-but

I also asked the person what anyone who was in your position should do as to the treatment your received from the VA-

She said to report it to the Patient's advocate, and the Director and even the Chief of Staff and if the results are not satisfactory to you-then get in touch with the Office of Medical Examiner-VA.

I forgot to add-

I had meetings with the Chief of Staff and Med Director of the local VA- long ago- part of my OME matter- and I made sure that these meetings were carefully documented in my husband's med recs.

I was glad I did that -because many years later-in 1997 and even for one of my claims presently at the RO now-those med recs with their notations are still very important.

It is one thing to have some Medical director sit and listen to someone with a complaint and then forget about it as soon as they leave- it is another thing however to have it all documented as to what transpired-by the VA person themselves right in the record. I insisted the Director of the VA here (and chief of staff) do that in my presense and they did.

"Berta, are you intentionally using Medical Examiner (OME) versus Medical Inspector (OMI)? I am not aware of a VA Office of Medical Examiner. Just curious.)"

I meant Office of Medical Inspector Jim- sorry if I mislead here-

I already used FOIA years ago for the info I am trying to obtain-with no results-

then again a more recent FOIA to the OGC got me a very interesting reply-

The OMI is going to give me contact info for the best place to again begin my search for this information.

(they will check their records too)

I am searching for something that I strongly believe (due to past contacts with JHACO and the VA) that the VA doesn't have.

It is worth it to me to take the time to make one more attempt to get this info-

Because it supports my position that the VA (as within recent emails from VA over the suicide situation)

says Shhhh in many other ways too

when they malpractice on veterans.

I have raised this point to Deputy Secretary Mansfield in a letter recently- as I know for a fact (by documentation in Rod'sclinical records)that VA doctors said SHHHH when they discovered the malpractice of the Bath VA and then covered up that malpractice instead of properly-at that moment-I know the day and hour-because I talked to these doctors-actually doing something to avert his death.

If the VA doesn't know how many veteran patients have committed suicide-then what stats do they have on the wrongful deaths they have caused?(documented via any FTCA death claim that succeeds)

I am asking them for info they don't want the public to know about and I believe the pubic not only has the right to know how many veterans commit suicide-the public also has the right to know how many veterans are dead due to VA health care itself.

and then send it to the H VAC.

Edited by Berta