Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Range Of Motion: Does The Examiner Have To Use A Goniometer?

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

D. Normal Range of Motion: All joint Range of Motion measurements "must" be made using a goniometer. Show each measured range of motion separately rather than as a continuum. For example, if the veteran lacks 10 degrees of full knee extension and has normal flexion, show the range of motion as extension to minus 10 degrees (or lacks 10 degrees of extension) and flexion 0 to 140 degrees.

Source: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm34.htm

Any veteran that feels the ROM was not correctly measured and can prove a goniometer was not used during the C&P examination may contest the decision. As we can read, the law says they, MUST use it.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

D. Normal Range of Motion: All joint Range of Motion measurements "must" be made using a goniometer. Show each measured range of motion separately rather than as a continuum. For example, if the veteran lacks 10 degrees of full knee extension and has normal flexion, show the range of motion as extension to minus 10 degrees (or lacks 10 degrees of extension) and flexion 0 to 140 degrees.

Source: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm34.htm

Any veteran that feels the ROM was not correctly measured and can prove a goniometer was not used during the C&P examination may contest the decision. As we can read, the law says they, MUST use it.

Been there done that, according to many BVA decisions a goniometer does not have to be used. It is up to the doctor as long as he can medically justify not using the goniometer it is your word agains his. and we know who's word the va will accept.

22 years back injury, and knee injuries not once was a goinometer ever used at any of my c/p exam. I suspect most vets will say the same. I dare say the doctors don't even know what it looks like.

This is the reason I brought my wife to the C&P. I was in severe pain and the RN did not use one gauges and the RN stated she had perform the whole exam and every degree.except for bending and twisting at the waist.My denial stated that the RN thought I could still perform a job that required lite lifting 10lbs and no prolong siting and standing. Didn't state the same RN went to get me a wheel chair, because I was in pain. She walked about 5 hundred yards never a mention and the tens unit connected to me, nothing. 5% degrees on a guess can make or break you.

Edited by yoggie2

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

I've had many exams for joints, both in the private sector and at the VA.

The private examiners always use the measuring device and the VA never does.

One private examiner told me that it's easy to guess within a few degrees but, most R.O.M. exams will eventually become part of a disability claim, of some sort, and using the most accurate method of measurement is simply covering everybodies six.

VA examiners don't bother with the measuring device because they have to cover anything.

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

Sledge that is a good point, I have had way more thorough exams in the private sector and accountability is the key word, and from what I am reading on the board today its a problem on many levels and I don't mean the small stuff..

Edited by yoggie2

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

When I had my C&P exam, the Nurse Practitioner used one but not to measure ROM, but to measure fatigueability. I have arthritis of my spine, but of course she didn't even bother to measure my spinal ROM. :blink:

Susie

• HadIt.com Elder

If the examiner does not use the goniometer for ROM and the decision comes back unfavorable to the Vet, they may be able to get another examination and on this basis.

If it's common practice in the private sector to use it, than it may benefit some Vets by getting a complete ROM examination according to these guidelines and submit that as evidence.

This is one more example of why there are so many backloged claims. They refuse to follow the laws from the beginning.