Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Va Response To Cavc Writ Of Mandamus Order

Rate this question

vaf

Question

Hi, all. Has anyone here ever filed a writ of mandamus request, had the CAVC judge issue an order to the VA to respond within 30 days (in this case the order was dated 5/1/08), only to have the deadline pass with no response?

I was just wondering what happens next. To date, we've heard nothing from the VA, there's no new developments at the CAVC, and it looks like the VA has not requested an extension of the deadline. I know we are not supposed to count the date the order was issued against the 30 days, and we had the Memorial Day holiday in the mix, too. I guess we should wait until the end of the week before getting concerned?

Thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I would wait and just keep checking the Docket list to see if the VA responded to the CAVC.

Congrats-the court usually denies Mandamus right off the bat-saying the claimant has not exhausted all avenues of administrative appeals etc.

Every single thing any VA department does goes slowly-

Two Weeks ago the General COunsel's office called me for my faxed permission to send something to my POA-

it was a hurry up deal-the US lawyer acted as though they wanted to put my complaint in the mail to the POA right away-

I found out yesterday that the POA (this is a complaint under 38,USC 14.633) still might not have received the complaint yet.

Then again another dept of the OGC has something else from me-a FOIA- the last FOIA took over 2 years to process and then I appealed and then they denied the appeal-2 years later- the recent FOIA I sent might well have held up the complaint against the POA-all of these situations are related in some way---

I found out some alarming news as to my husband's death-and the FTCA matter-

I am calling the VA to task on it-

If we as claimants must abide by their legal criteria etc- then the VA itself has certain legal criteria, under FTCA, that they absolutely must abide by and in my case they didnt and I just found out.It is something so serious to all veterans that I asked the Chair of the H VAC to look into it-

a malpractice lawyer -who I discussed this matter with recently- also agreed with me- the VA is certainly covering up more than we think-

Actually I am surprised that the CAVC did request a response from the VA on your Mandamus Writ.

Their request might still be in the VA mailroom or they are figuring out what to say in response.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Update as of today:

The VA responded on the last day within the window given by the Judge, but the Judge subsequently issued a second Order on July 19th, part of which indicates he found the VA's response lacking substance:

"The very limited information provided by the Secretary contains no explanation of what has happened with the claim in the two and a half years since the Board remand prior to its current status. While the Court cannot intervene if delay is the product of an overburdened system, the Court is not convinced that the delay in this case amounts to anything other than an arbitrary refusal to act on the petitioner's claims. See Costanza v. West 12 Vet.App. 133,134 (1999)(per curiam order)."

The Court then gave the VA another 30 days to provide the status of the claims included in the remand. Sounds like the Court is trying to bend over backwards not to grant the writ, to the point of supplying an argument to the VA to use. The interesting thing is that VA blamed the delay in its response to "the complicated procedural posture of the case," without explaining what that meant, exactly. We argued that it means blaming the nature of the claim itself for causing its own delay, and not external forces like workload or as the Court defined it, an "overburdened system."

I'm amazed we got this far...

Edited by vaf

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually, I think the Court is on your side and the VA better cough up something in 30 days. Congrats I expect that VA will give you an answer probably at last minute.

The fact that VA is trying to squirm out of this means you pretty much have nailed their scaly hide to a wall. I doubt that the Judge will grant them any more time but don't be surprised if the VA asks you to agree to more time which if it was me I would say sorry you have taken entirely to long get on with it.

Good Luck and Congrats!!!!!

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I believe its the same for all federal claims. You have to add 5 days for mailing. If they get 30 days you have to add holidays and 5 days for mailing.

I am assuming you have an attorney.

Ruby

Congrats are still in order from me- you did succeed on your writ in my opinion- at this point-

99% of MAndamus writs do not get this far at all-

I mentioned here the 30 day thing too-

The OGC on May 21,22,or 23rd gave my POA 30 days in which to respond to a complaint I had filed against individuals employed by the state veterans division.

Last week the OGC attorney said the 30 days were just about up and actually they are by now-

still I did not get clarification-30 working days?

I think it was just 30 days period.

Still in your case it IS remarkable what you have done-

A Mandamus writ means you want the court to order the VA to do something-

it accomplished that so far-you did a superb job!

Vicki-how long has the claim been on the remand-without action?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Ruby, this is a pro se mandamus writ request. No attorney on this one. If we get a decision and don't like it, we appeal to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, and only then can we get an attorney (this all started prior to the attorneys for vets legislation that passed last year, and wasn't grandfathered in, so we had to go it alone). Remands pending at the AMC cannot receive attorney representation, either, which is why we decided to try to force the issue, one way or the other, out of there.