Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back And Sciatic Nerve Questions

Rate this question

parsavers

Question

Guys and Gals,

I'm new to the board but I thought that I would jump right in with a question. I am currently rated at 20% for a back condition. I have had two back surgeries, one laminectomy and one discectomy. During my last event, either during surgery or the injury itself, I suffered nerve damage. One year after surgery, the VA didn't think the nerve damage warrented anything. I requested another exam (about three years after surgery) because I feel like I'm losing a lot of strength in my leg. That being said, during the C/P exam, the examiner stated that she notices a slight foot drop during walking, loss of some reflex and also noted that my left leg (dominated side) thigh was about two inches smaller than the right leg, calfs measured the same in diameter. Anyone have any idea what I should be expecting as far as a rating on this? Apparently, my information went to the rating board on April 24 and still no decision. Like most of you, the waiting is brutal.....

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did you file a NOD in time on the last decision?

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html

This is a link to the whole shibang-

I suggest that you check the convalescent ratings to see if you met that criteria and then carefully go over these rating schedules-

DDD was incorporated into a new rating criteria for IVDS in 2003-

this case shows what I mean:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0811063.txt

Do you have a copy of the C & P exam results?

Is this the C & P exam you got?

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

Are you working aand if not- do you feel this SC disability is preventing you from working?

If so-here is the TDIU form:

Alright, let me see if I understand this correctly. My initial rating was at 10% in 1991. If this is the case, should the old rating system be used, if it is to my benefit, even though the claim for increase was started in 2004 and 2007?

I used Dr. Bash for a IVDS claim that I have in appeal. I have been denied SC due to no "Nexus" and the C&P examiner saying other things led to my back issues.

Dr. Bash has a case on his page almost exactly like mine.....

my report from him was NOTHING like that!

$1500.00, took 3 months with multiple calls and emails asking for updates, he still has my ONLY ORIGINAL FILMS of xrays and MRI's and he wrote 2 paragraphs about my back.. The rest are quotes from me and some quote from a medical journal or something.

he also said if I NOD the new decision that he wants another $500.00 for another letter.

He failed to use ANY of the VA info (IVDS Training Letter, rating schedule, etc), failed to discount any of the other issues that the VA brought up (car and motorcycle accident and my career as a firefighter). he said "my discs are prematurely degenerated for my age".

ABSOLUTE CRAP!

I just hope that I get the damn xrays and mri's back so that I can continue to get treatment for my condition (I need 3 lumbar vertebre fused and I'm 38 years old).

Hello all,

My rating decision was as follows:

1. Evaluation of sciatica, left lower extremity, was raised from 10% to 20%, basically due to muscle loss.

2. Increase for an DDD with posterior herniation of L4-5 and L5-S1 was deferred.

After reading the case someone posted, it seems to me, they should have used the old criteria for IVDS, since my initial claim was granted in 1991. What so you?

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello all,

My rating decision was as follows:

1. Evaluation of sciatica, left lower extremity, was raised from 10% to 20%, basically due to muscle loss.

2. Increase for an DDD with posterior herniation of L4-5 and L5-S1 was deferred.

After reading the case someone posted, it seems to me, they should have used the old criteria for IVDS, since my initial claim was granted in 1991. What so you?

If you filed for an increase for DDD (IVDS) after 2003, they have to use the new criteria.

90%, TDIU P&T