Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vocational Rehab Chapeter 31

Rate this question

BernieB

Question

Question for your guys. What do you think of the success of the Chapter 31 vocational rehabilition training program. I've had an interesting ride. I've applied for jobs with the VA Hospital in Durham, N.C. The voc/rehab rep said I would have a good shot getting a job in food service or housekeeping. These are p.t. jobs with no benefits? Who would you call to complain?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

My husband was in same situation-

First the VA personnel director told him he was not qualified at all for a full time open VA fireman's position they had just hired someone for (He was fully HASMAT qualfied and had attended Naval Fire COllege)

She dug out his OPM qualification statement as we confronted her and shoved it in his face-

I whipped out the same OPM sheet we had received- it said right there he was fully qualified for the fireman's position.I asked how her how she was qualified for her job since it appeared she didnt know how to read.( there was Lots of nepotism going on at this VA in those days)

Long story-she got canned but they stuck Rod into dietetics only until a full time job he was qualified for came up-(so he would not file EEOC complaint) which never happened-

he was also qualified for numerous positions in Engineer Department and was in Voc Rehab for computer training.

It is the OPM statement that says you are qualified for a specific position-that gives any veteran trying for VA employment a leg up-

they dont have to hire anyone unless they are qualified-whether they are disabled vet or not.

Your best bet might be to go to a DVAAP -a coordinator for the state employment division-

Did the OPM statement you got state that you were qualified for any specifc positions?

If so-with known job openings for these positions-you should have gotten an interview-

this is why they got Rod a dietectics job right away-(the director did)

they had broken their own regs in 38 USC 2012/2014.

(Of course we had the regs when we confronted the former personnel manager- and went right over to the VA director's office and made formal complaint.)

No federal employer has to interview or hire anyone for a position they are not qualified for.

In federal employment with the VA- it is the OPM that determines qualifications based on prior work record and schooling.

DVAAPS are Disabled Veterans Affrmative Action Coordinators-

sometimes they are called something else-

anyone who is the veteran's liason person at any state employment service should be able to help you find federal employment at VA or otherwise in a position you are fully qualified for-

or at least get you interviews for open positions with federal contractors or the federal government.