Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf 40 With Severe Depression

Rate this question

ruby

Question

Does a gaf of 40 with severe depression?

Have my MRI of my nick back that shows severe bulging disc at 5 levels and 3 level with mild to moderate stenosis. `1 level is severe with cord compression. Should I put in for an increase.

I am SC for traumatic arthritis not ReA. The same complaints that had in the service is the same I have now but much worse.

Ruby

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete

Thanks, I agree with you but the VA doesn't. I have been fighting trying to get the ReA SC for 3 years it seems I thought that since in service there is proof positive I had changes in my SI joints (found by accident) that it would have been a no brainer. Silly me, to think that. I keep asking for it the wrong way. I hope this time I have asked the right way.

I called and they said its with the rating team--no comp exam yet so it could be a big fat no.

The PTSD I have kept a secret for years until something made me go over the edge. Every week when I go to group, I just get mad that I let them ruin my life and my family's life by my temperment. I am ready to fight tooth and nail today for 100%, tomorrow it's where's my rock I've been hiding under for the last 30 years. I want to crawl under it again.

So I am good about doing things to further my claim after group for a couple of days and then its a struggle to even look at it. I am trying to get my ducks together so on one of those days I am pissed, I will send off my claim.

Ruby

Ruby,

My GAF was 40 also with a 70% for Chronic Anxiety Severe.

Betty

Don't know if this will make you feel any better. I started with a 45 GAF from C&P and got 30%. Treating VA doctor has consistently gave a

me a 32 with sever depression. I appealed a hearing loss, and other conditions that were denied in the orginal claim, TDUI, and in filed a NOD for an increase in in percentage in September 2007. I submitted treating doctors records on the 32 GAF, and IMO on my hearing and a ENT VA specalist records on the hearing loss. I was sent for another PTSD and hearing loss C&P in May of 08 and the VA is still working on it as we speak according to the 1-800 number. I have nearly been done in twice with VA prescribed medications that clashed. Ask me what I think about the system.

That's one of the reason's I asked the question, I did research the question first and I saw that people were getting 30-70%. If the gaf is there to help with a rating I can't see how it can differ by that much.

I was wondering why it is so different.

I hate to say this for fear it will come back on me. I think I have a decent rater after reviewing what I ask for in the past I can see how they denied it. If the wording is not right on, its a denial. I have been increase based on test results. I am hoping based on my previous results with this rater he will give me what the gaf indicates and not low ball me.

It really does suck how the VA raters are so different, there should be a system, where if you fall into a category that's what you get. The rater who is non medical (I mean either nurses or doctors) shouldn't have the ability to give you what he thinks you should get.

Thanks for the reply.

Betty,

Thanks for the replying hoping my rater does the same thing.

Ruby

That's one of the reason's I asked the question, I did research the question first and I saw that people were getting 30-70%. If the gaf is there to help with a rating I can't see how it can differ by that much.

I was wondering why it is so different.

I hate to say this for fear it will come back on me. I think I have a decent rater after reviewing what I ask for in the past I can see how they denied it. If the wording is not right on, its a denial. I have been increase based on test results. I am hoping based on my previous results with this rater he will give me what the gaf indicates and not low ball me.

It really does suck how the VA raters are so different, there should be a system, up where if you fall into a category that's what you get. The rater who is non medical (I mean either nurses or doctors) shouldn't have the ability to give you what he thinks you should get.

Thanks for the reply.

Betty,
Thanks for the replying hoping my rater does the same thing.

Ruby

Ruby as long as we have an avenue we need to keep on plugging and appealing. Each state is different on their ratings. Some states are very chinchy on their percentages. I saw a link of the percentage stats given by each state on hadit once. My state was next to the lowest and most chincy state giving a proper percentage rating. I have heard some comments that more things are considered other than GAF in a rating. GAF is the scale that accesses severity of a condition. Why wouldn't the GAF score not only matter it but have everything to do with the % rating given? I think sometimes when the vet makes the regional office angry or an individual in the regional office angry in an effort to get the benefits we have coming we get low-balled. If we ask for a congressional inquiry, file a NOD, anything along these lines, they feel we are questioning their authority or their integrity in the initial decision as a result we often will end up getting low-balled in our percentage or gettting put on the back burner with the burner off, in retaliation. Is it right, no, but appears to be the way it is. Edited by danang_1969