VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Won't Pay My Husbands Hospital Bills

Rate this question

Lady

Question

Hello all, just wanted to know why the Va. will not pay the entire amount to the hospital my husband was in for last year after he had his heart attack. I called the number and told them in the right time frame. And he was 100% in threat for his life. I made sure I did everything they say you need to do to inform them, our doctor even told them he had to have this done now or he would not make it. I found the progress note in the many I have collected over the last 2years. It was a phone call from our doctor to the VA. and it says he would be approved and singed by chief medical officer of Fee services. And here is my question, the va has only paid a few thousand on a 65,000.00 medical bill. My husband had to go back the day he was discharged because of problems so he had a longer stay than normal, but the MILL/Bill , is only paying the hospital a small amount on the totlal cost, they (VA) told me the hospital has to take it and thats all they get. But the hospital says that s not true and of course want us to pay the rest of the amount off, over 45,000.00. My husband at the time of service at the hospital was 70%I.U. Is this right? Never heard of this before. Any one know the answer on this one. Thanks for all the information & help . Mary & Greg Ps. I wonder if they can put a lien on my home? I hope not. They want the money asap. HAHAHA, I have to laugh about because It is crazy!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Hello all, just wanted to know why the Va. will not pay the entire amount to the hospital my husband was in for last year after he had his heart attack. I called the number and told them in the right time frame. And he was 100% in threat for his life. I made sure I did everything they say you need to do to inform them, our doctor even told them he had to have this done now or he would not make it. I found the progress note in the many I have collected over the last 2years. It was a phone call from our doctor to the VA. and it says he would be approved and singed by chief medical officer of Fee services. And here is my question, the va has only paid a few thousand on a 65,000.00 medical bill. My husband had to go back the day he was discharged because of problems so he had a longer stay than normal, but the MILL/Bill , is only paying the hospital a small amount on the totlal cost, they (VA) told me the hospital has to take it and thats all they get. But the hospital says that s not true and of course want us to pay the rest of the amount off, over 45,000.00. My husband at the time of service at the hospital was 70%I.U. Is this right? Never heard of this before. Any one know the answer on this one. Thanks for all the information & help . Mary & Greg Ps. I wonder if they can put a lien on my home? I hope not. They want the money asap. HAHAHA, I have to laugh about because It is crazy!

Lady,

The VA paid about 15% of the amount the hospital charged for my husband's emergency hospitilization, but we didn't get a bill for the remainder. Billing clerks sometimes don't realize how it works with a veteran, so you might have to explain that he is totally disabled and he was admitted for a service-connected condition, so you have no copays. Tell them it works just the same as it does with Medicare allowables, (except with Medicare you would have co-pays.)

Carrie

Edited by Morgan

Lady,

The VA paid about 15% of the amount the hospital charged for my husband's emergency hospitilization, but we didn't get a bill for the remainder. Billing clerks sometimes don't realize how it works with a veteran, so you might have to explain that he is totally disabled and he was admitted for a service-connected condition, so you have no copays. Tell them it works just the same as it does with Medicare allowables, (except with Medicare you would have co-pays.)

Carrie

Dear Lady,

I as well have had to go to a local ER 2 times. I am 100% T&P. I ran into some of the same issues you are dealing with. I was told by the VA's nurse advice line to get to my nearest ER (I live over an hour away from the nearest VA medical Center). It is manidated by federal law (I do not know which law) that the hospital must write off all charges when dealing with a T&P disabled veteran. This will only happen if the vA ok's the ER or hospital. It sounds like you have a strong case in that respects. I always made copies of all bills I received from the hospital and sent them to the VA medical center. I hope this helps you. God bless you & Merry Christmas.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I've seen a regulation in Part 17 of 38 code of federal regulations pertaining to payment of outside medical services.