Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medal Replacement

Rate this question

pete

Question

Good morning, everyone. I'm thinking about sending in Form #180 to get replacement medals I was awarded in Viet Nam (but never got) and giving them to my grandson. My question is----will this delay my current claim (PTSD) in progress, in ANY way, shape, or form? Thanks. I was Army if that makes any difference.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The process takes about three months the center in St Louis sends you a list of what you are authorized and then sends a duplicate to a place in Pennsylvania and the medals and ribbons come all crammed into a box, they will send the marksmanship awards CIB's etc I was impressed with it, I had lost mine over the last 30 years and I never got my ARCOM from GW1 I had the orders but they didn;t have the medals back then so they sent that to.

Pete- I think you might be better off sending them a DD 149 request- too-I will attach the form-

What it means- (Unless you are positive your DD 214 is correct)

is that -if they did not list all of your awards on your DD214- this can generate a DD 215-

the part about the correction of injustice-

I would just state there- "in order to correct any errors that might be on my DD 214"-

My husband was told to do this by a VSO-

They sent him a DD 215 with 3-4 additional decorations-and then the VA sent him some medals- but they told him he had to buy the ones that were from the Vietnamese Gov-

they didnt cost too much-

I dont recall him sending them an SF 180 for this but I guess that would work too-

He never bought them -he died shortly after the DD 215 came-

When my daughter graduated from Lackland (USAF) we went into the BX and I here I had the DD 214, and 215 and the letter from VA and some other stuff to prove who I was and that he was eligible-

they never even checked it-and I bought the medals they owed him-

Anyone with BX rights (or I guess with a vet they are related to)can buy anything at a BX even a PH! I think that is awful.

My husband was processed out of the CORPS in 1968-he said they were all herded into a room and had to fill something out- it was what their DD 214 was based on-

many didnt know of some awards- like he didnt know his unit got the PUC-

and he said they just all wanted to get the hell out of there mosh kosh-and many forgot most of the stuff to put down-

My kid sure remembered this all and made sure when she left the mil her DD 214 was correct.

dd0149.pdf

Edited by Berta

I know this may not seem much to many, but does anyone know if the Navy gives out award ribbons for Sharpshooter/marksman? Even in the Navy we learned to shoot and Company's were awarded ribbons to fly on their guide arm.

I was in a special Company that didn't compete with the rest of the Company's, but when I went to complete my time on the shooting range, I did quite well if I don't say so myself, I was top shooter for those shooting that day and know I should have qualified for sharpshooter/marksman.

I had a bit of an advantage over everyone else, my father was a marksman on the MC shooting teem at Camp Pendleton and had taught me how to shoot the vary samr rifle we use on the range. I was already used to useing the sights for range and windage and how to ajust these for that particular rifle. It didn't take me long before my shot grouping were hitting for a high score.

I've always wondered about this, since it is not shown on my DD214

It's not all that important as claims go, but it is a reminder to me about the good times I had with my father and something he had been proud to have shared with me.

Jim S. B)

I know this may not seem much to many, but does anyone know if the Navy gives out award ribbons for Sharpshooter/marksman? Even in the Navy we learned to shoot and Company's were awarded ribbons to fly on their guide arm.

I was in a special Company that didn't compete with the rest of the Company's, but when I went to complete my time on the shooting range, I did quite well if I don't say so myself, I was top shooter for those shooting that day and know I should have qualified for sharpshooter/marksman.

I had a bit of an advantage over everyone else, my father was a marksman on the MC shooting teem at Camp Pendleton and had taught me how to shoot the vary samr rifle we use on the range. I was already used to useing the sights for range and windage and how to ajust these for that particular rifle. It didn't take me long before my shot grouping were hitting for a high score.

I've always wondered about this, since it is not shown on my DD214

It's not all that important as claims go, but it is a reminder to me about the good times I had with my father and something he had been proud to have shared with me.

Jim S. B)

Jim- you might want to check this out:

http://www.amervets.com/replacement/nve.htm

The Navy does have a Rifle- Pistol Qualification Badge-

all the info on it is at that site.