Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Calling Va For Status

Rate this question

SSGmajik

Question

Just curious if the VA gets mad for calling to get status of your claim. At my C&P the Doctor told me that I made someone mad because in the letter from the VA he said that the person seemed really irritated with me. I was never rude to anyone when I called for status on my claim. I don't know why they would be mad. I hope it does not hurt my claim.

SSGmajik

Thank you to all who are serving or have served our great country!

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Claimants can not depend on the 800 # to accurately track the status of their disability claims.

This is not what the 800 # was set up for, it is to provide basic information on benefits, how to file claims, etc...

I feel sending an Iris inquiry will be more helpful in tracking your claim status

and will also provide you something in writing.

As far as anyone at VA getting aggravated with a claimant, here's a reg for that,

§ 4.23 Attitude of rating officers.

It is to be remembered that the majority of applicants are disabled persons who are seeking benefits of law to which they believe themselves entitled.

In the exercise of his or her functions, rating officers must not allow their personal feelings to intrude; an antagonistic, critical, or even abusive attitude on the part of a claimant should not in any instance influence the officers in the handling of the case.

Fairness and courtesy must at all times be shown to applicants by all employees whose duties bring them in contact, directly or indirectly, with the Department's claimants.

[41 FR 11292, Mar. 18, 1976]

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Majik,

in my opinion, I would try to get a copy of that letter the doctor is talking about or ask to read it for yourself if you can because this could affect your claim if it is true.

Also, if you can't do either of the above, I would do a sworn statement or notarized statement quoting what "Doctor X" said about me making someone mad as this may help you later.

Reason I would do this is because I've read on the VA website where it says the VA employees must basically treat each Vet with courtesy and respect, even if the Vet is angry, mean, or rude or something to that affect.

Again, just my opinion.

DAV Life Member - Thanks to all Veterans for your selfless service.

Wow, thanks Carlie I did not know that reg. I know when I would call the 1-800# around 1530 to 1550 someone at the VA would pick up the phone and hang it up. I know it was not an accident because it would happen way too often if that was the only time I got a chance to call. As for IRIS I have used it once before and my claim is 90 days old so I have sent a request for status through IRIS. Thanks again for the advice.

SSGmajik

MRRRR5,

Thanks for the advice. I did read some of the letter and it was fairly rude. I will try to obtain a copy for my records. If he has no copy I will see if he can give me a sworn statement. Thanks again!

SSGmajik

The part that Carlie listed is exactly what I was talking about; thanks Carlie.

Majik, the picking up the phone and hanging up must be the norm any time after 3:30 pm because it has happened to me too and it needs to be addressed. I would think that I lost the connection on my cordless, but you just confirmed that it is not my phone.

And then to have to listen to the recording (Yulk); but Ron gave advice in a recent post on how to get around that.

I will send an IRIS complaint about the phone issue (picking up and hanging up) today. If they don't want the job that my tax dollars are paying them to do, then dammit, they need to quit or resign. :P

DAV Life Member - Thanks to all Veterans for your selfless service.

MRRRR5,

You read my exact thoughts. They are paid to do a job, so they need to do it.

SSGmajik