Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tri ---- Care Question

Rate this question

trez

Question

YESTERDAY I WAS AT VA HOSPITAL AND I HEARD SOME PEOPLE DISCUSSING SOMETHING CALLED TRI---CARE.

MY QUESTION IS CAN A VETERAN OR DISABLED VET GET TRI -------- CARE???????

WHAT IS TRI ------- CARE????????

THANKS IF WE CAN'T GET IT WHY NOT???????

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

trez...Tri-care is the medical insurance that covers active duty and retired military...unless you are active duty or retired out of the arm forces I don't believe you are eligatable. The VA has Champus VA for disabled veterans.

Hope this helps

MT

Yup, true......vets' dependant's must use ChampVA. The only time my kid's were allowed to use Tri-Care was when I was on TDRL (Temporary Disability Retirement List).

ChampVA is actually better than Tri-Care. (at least for my kids at has been)

• HadIt.com Elder
trez...Tri-care is the medical insurance that covers active duty and retired military...unless you are active duty or retired out of the arm forces I don't believe you are eligatable. The VA has Champus VA for disabled veterans.

Hope this helps

MT

Actually, CHAMPUS is NOT for disabled veterans.......that's why we have the VA.

CHAMPUS is for the Survivors and/or Dependents of 100% P&T Veterans who are eligible for Chapter 35 benefits.

Tri-care is, as has been pointed out.

CHAMPUS: No longer exists although many still refer to the program by that name.

TRICARE: The replacement program for CHAMPUS. TRICARE is the health care program serving active duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members, retirees, their families, survivors and certain former spouses worldwide. As a major component of the Military Health System, TRICARE brings together the health care resources of the uniformed services and supplements them with networks of civilian health care professionals, institutions, pharmacies and suppliers to provide access to high-quality health care services while maintaining the capability to support military operations.

CHAMPVA:

The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) is a comprehensive health care program in which the VA shares the cost of covered health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries. The program is administered by Health Administration Center and our offices are located in Denver, Colorado.

Due to the similarity between CHAMPVA and the Department of Defense (DoD) TRICARE program (sometimes referred to by its old name, CHAMPUS) the two are often mistaken for each other. CHAMPVA is a Department of Veterans Affairs program whereas TRICARE is a regionally managed health care program for active duty and retired members of the uniformed services, their families, and survivors. In some cases a veterans may look to be eligible for both/either program on paper. However, if you are a military retiree, or the spouse of a veteran who was killed in action, you are and will always be a TRICARE beneficiary, you can´t choose between the two.

Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

.........and if all this ain't confusing enough.....and if you don't have anything else to do with your time....I've got a cat named "dog"!

B)