VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Keratoconus Rating

Rate this question

kookiebean2001

Question

I would like to hear stories of those soldiers with Keratoconus ratings. I'm 30% left eye. I've heard of people being rated for both eyes,that can't be true can it? One eye is considered a pair right like ears are considered a pair?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA rates this conditions thus:

"Keratoconus is to be evaluated on impairment of corrected

visual acuity using contact lenses. When either unilateral

or bilateral contact lenses are medically required for

keratoconus, the minimum rating assigned will be 30 percent.

38 C.F.R. § 4.84a, Diagnostic Code 6035 (2007). As the

veteran is medically required to use contact lenses, it was

on this basis that the RO assigned a 30 percent disability

evaluation in the February 2005 rating decision"

If you do a search at the BVA web site there will be many more claims ragarding this condition and how they rate it.

Thank You Berta,

I think I read every last appeal on that website (searching only relevant information of course)while compiling my case. It seems most were denied beyond 20%. I got the 30%. It would be nice to talk to someone in a forum that has also won a claim. B)

Thank You Berta,

I think I read every last appeal on that website (searching only relevant information of course)while compiling my case. It seems most were denied beyond 20%. I got the 30%. It would be nice to talk to someone in a forum that has also won a claim. :angry:

I've read a lot of claims in the last few days, it seems lot deal of them were denied. I prasie God I was awarded a claim, haven't gotten the money yet (20 years retro) it's been since 1 Aug 08. I know it takes 3 signatures for anything over $25 K. Seems like I'm fighting all this by myself. V.S.O. told me I would never win, lawyer never came through (gave some good advice, but never presented my case). The S.O. thought it would take about 10 years. I filed in 2006 awarded in 2007. Filed a N.O.D., S.O. said file an appeal, Got my congressman involved, he spend things up I presume, DRO deteremined I had filed in 1988 so awarded a C.U.E. hence the retro. It's hard trying to find out which angle to approach, trying to plot my next course. I had a corneal transplant in 1994 and had a rejection on the surgery. I was off for 3 months and then had stitches in my eye for about 9 months which I had to go back every month to have removed before I could start wearing contact lens again (I have to wear them, but can only do so for about 4 hours each day) My vision is terrible without them but I can't get a rating beyond. Also trying to become a V.S.O. myself so I can help other veterans as well. So 4 reasons for posting this time.

1.Trying to get others with cases like me to respond.

2.Help with the next step

3.To help others

4. Never gave real info on myself

So here's a bit. It's hard to share a lot of info, All that "Enemy of the State" stuff worries me sometimes, so forgive me.

I'm Former food service guy. Feed a lot of pilots in my time and a few generals as well, been all over the world, feeding in tents, makeshift buildings, flight lines, for humanitarian efforts, special award ceremonies, satellite facilities, passed out quite a few C-rations. Even had mourtuary duty on occasion. It was a pleasure feeding you guys and hearing your stories while you ate and defended our country.

I can understand why you would like to find someone with this condition

and I imagine there are vets out there with it but probably they arent here at hadit.

I found 2 cases at the CAVC -all CAVC dockets are public record-so,under the docket numbers there might be address for the vets-

dont know if these will help at all

La Shirl Ramsey CAVC # 06-1698 Temp Total Disability rating extention for surgery -denied.

Philip Kinnaman CAVC # 90-784 -

"CONCLUSION

Accordingly, for the reasons stated above, the May 2, 1990, decision

of the BVA is REVERSED and the case REMANDED for an award of service

connection for bilateral keratoconus and for adjudication of the veteran's

claim of clear and unmistakable error in the 1977 AOJ decision."

Just long shots that they could be contacted-I wish we knew the outcome of the Kinnaman case-

I had 20 NYS lawyers tell me I didnt have basis for a FTCA wrongful death case against VA.In those days however-it was very hard to find malpractice lawyers because they were not allowed to advertise.

Still- I dont listen to adversity-

I won it myself-

You and I both know how persistence pays off.

What I dont understand is what you feel would be your next step here?

Is it for the 3 months Temp due to the surgery?

Thanks for all your help Berta,

It's a matter of interpretation. (By the way forgive me if I make typographical errors, I run a spell check but somethings I miss because I can't see sometimes). I would like to have someone explain the rating system for my condition:

For example if my left eye is rated 30% I have to wear contacts (the the minium rating is 30%)for keratoconus. To have any increase they have to look at the other eye. Say I loss my right eye, It would take me to 100%, if my vision is corrected to 20/30 in the right eye, I'm still at 30%. The problem is I also have keratoconus in the right eye and I have to wear contacts, so why not give me the rating for the other eye. They rate me for best corrected vision in right eye, the diease is not even considered, doesn't make sense.

I had corneal transplants in both eyes 2 years apart was your service connected mine was not they said it was genetic and denied it. I wear contacts and glasses either or and corrected vision is about 20/30 what process did you use?