Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ratable Or Not?

Rate this question

Swan

Question

I'm curious so I've come to the place where I know I will find answers! B)

A friend of mine husband was sworn into the Army back in '86 and was sent off to Basic Training. Once he began his training the Drill Instructors noticed that he had limited use of his dominant arm so he was medically discharged. He served no more than a week or two. He doesn't know if he's receiving any compensation because he cannot find his DD214 but he doesn't receive any money. He is requesting his DD214 and SMRs.

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is he entitled to service connection even though he only spent a week or so in Basic?

2. If so, what does he need to do to get the ball rolling? He says that he has deep embedded pain sort of like arthiritis and he can not straighten his arm completely.

3. Could his ailment be labeled as "caused or aggravated by military service" which serves as his nexus because it wasn't noted on his entrance exam?

Thanks in advance!

Swan :)

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm curious so I've come to the place where I know I will find answers! B)

A friend of mine husband was sworn into the Army back in '86 and was sent off to Basic Training. Once he began his training the Drill Instructors noticed that he had limited use of his dominant arm so he was medically discharged. He served no more than a week or two. He doesn't know if he's receiving any compensation because he cannot find his DD214 but he doesn't receive any money. He is requesting his DD214 and SMRs.

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is he entitled to service connection even though he only spent a week or so in Basic?

2. If so, what does he need to do to get the ball rolling? He says that he has deep embedded pain sort of like arthiritis and he can not straighten his arm completely.

3. Could his ailment be labeled as "caused or aggravated by military service" which serves as his nexus because it wasn't noted on his entrance exam?

Thanks in advance! It seems to me that a medical report on this guys arm should be somewhere in his medical file. I don't think the army would have dced him with no reason. There is more to this story than he is telling you.

Swan :)

:)

Thanks everyone for the input. It does seem like it's going to be a tough one to convince but like fla_viking says, let's wait to see what his DD214 and SMR states and then we'll move on from there.

lol, Swan B)