Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Question About Voc-rehab

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

Hello:

My son signed up for Voc-Rehab. He has Va disabilities rated at 50%. 40% for his Blood Cancer and 10 % for his back.

The Company he works for is going to shut the doors maybe within the next couple weeks and for sure by the end of this year. With his disabilities he knows he will have a big problem finding another job. He's been really lucky to have this one, His boss has been really good to him and understands his conditions and works around them. When he saw that my son could no longer work at his Diesel Mechanic position he created a position within the company making him a service manager. He answered the phone and runs for parts and ect.

He is affraid now that he got an appointment so soon that he will be denied because he is still working.

Do you have to be unemployed to get Voc-Rehab??

What if you have current means to survive at the present? [ while still working]

He needs this Voc Rehab. Diesel Mechanic has been the only training he has has all his life.

Thanks

Jessie

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

He needs to make an appointment and see Voc Rehan take their tests and see what kind of plan they can work up. Voc Rehab is not like the VARO and are oftentimes very helpful in cases like this.

If they decide to retrain him he can get paid every month he trains and the VA will pay for many expenses incurred while still getting his 50%

It should also be looked into if Voc Rehab says he is not employable to get 100$ when he leaves his job.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks pete53

He has am appointment with Voc-rehab on the 10th.

He was not prepared for it so quick, He thought it would take a month or two yo get the appointment.

This test, Is there any way he can prepare for it??

Again

Thanks, Jessie

The test will be a general vocational assessment. There is no need to study. As Pete said 99 percent of the time the Vocrehad people take good care of you and will help you in anyway they can. Follow Pete's advice and all should turn out a O.K.

The test will be a general vocational assessment. There is no need to study. As Pete said 99 percent of the time the Vocrehad people take good care of you and will help you in anyway they can. Follow Pete's advice and all should turn out a O.K.

Ricky:

Thanks!!

I'll tell him to clam down and not to sweat it!!

Jessie

Tell him not to worry at all. These caseworkers/counselors who work here at Vo Ed Rehab are really helpful. They get you settled in a room and have you watch a video which explains the program. It tells of the programs offered ie Vocational Education, Independent Living program, Return to work program, Assist with owning own business...You fill out forms after the video, and talk about your interests and abilities and disabilities and they review everything and notify you in 1 to 2 or 3 days acceptance in the program and what they will offer you.( BY email. phone and mail)

Dental care is provided for you while in the program too(or rather for the vet)

They pay for school and give the vet a stipened amount monthly also that is separate from his compensation.

Books pd too.

It is a good program.

Dress casual and comfortable...not dress clothes. There will probably be other people there too to watch the video.

They look at the interests the vet has and also if capable of doing the best program they fit into.

Tech schools are covered too.

Can go for 24-36 mths max for school is what they told me, but I have some degrees so school wasn't option for me. He will be surprised these people work for the VA as they are helpful. :angry:

Tell him not to worry at all. These caseworkers/counselors who work here at Vo Ed Rehab are really helpful. They get you settled in a room and have you watch a video which explains the program. It tells of the programs offered ie Vocational Education, Independent Living program, Return to work program, Assist with owning own business...You fill out forms after the video, and talk about your interests and abilities and disabilities and they review everything and notify you in 1 to 2 or 3 days acceptance in the program and what they will offer you.( BY email. phone and mail)

Dental care is provided for you while in the program too(or rather for the vet)

They pay for school and give the vet a stipened amount monthly also that is separate from his compensation.

Books pd too.

It is a good program.

Dress casual and comfortable...not dress clothes. There will probably be other people there too to watch the video.

They look at the interests the vet has and also if capable of doing the best program they fit into.

Tech schools are covered too.

Can go for 24-36 mths max for school is what they told me, but I have some degrees so school wasn't option for me. He will be surprised these people work for the VA as they are helpful. :angry:

Thanks halos2:

I will pass this on to him. I'm sure it will be heplful with some understanding of what to expect!!

Thanks again

jessie