• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

High Blood Pressure Claim

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for help to get my BP SC to 10%. I am sc secondary to my sc back condition. It's been on appeal since 2004. I have been on blood pressure medicine almost continuously since 1997. Back in 1997 my readings were consistently 150/95 with an occasional reading over 160 and a couple of 100s with many high 90's. Since then I had consistent 150-160 / 90-100 up until about 2004. I definitely had two or more readings taken on three or more days that were equal or above 160 or 100. In 2004 I started taking sedatives and anti-axiety meds for my sc mental condition. Then in late 2006 I added pain killers. Well the cocktail of it all puts me at an average of 115 / 80 now. Based on the rating criteria I would seem to rate 10%. They ahve all this evidence I have described above yet rate me 0% based on good ratings over the years. Anyone had a similar stituation? Thanks.

Here is the rating criteria:

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or

more, or; systolic pressure predominantly

160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for

an individual with a history of diastolic

pressure predominantly 100 or more who

requires continuous medication for control 10

NOTE (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension

must be confirmed by readings taken two

or more times on at least three different days. For

purposes of this section, the term hypertension

means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly

90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension

means that the systolic blood pressure

is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic

blood pressure of less than 90mm.

USMC 1st Battalion 1st Marines 1st Marine Division 91-95

100% P&T

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

George Washington

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Marine 72 - Just to give you something to think about. The requirement for the 10 percent due to meds is diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control .

Now take a look at what you have provided:

" my readings were consistently 150/95 with an occasional reading over 160 and a couple of 100s with many high 90's."

"I had consistent 150-160 / 90-100 up until about 2004. I definitely had two or more readings taken on three or more days that were equal or above 160 or 100."

None of your input as provided meets the meaning of predominantly. You need to write down all of your BP readings and the evidence they came from. As an example if you have 100 readings the majority (51) of them need to meet the needed requirements.

This is not my feelings it is just the way the VA interperts the law.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ricky,

I understand what you are saying but here is my comeback. When I first was diagnosed with HBP I was immediately put on medications. Since that time which was 1997 the VA states I have had sporadic diastolic blood pressure readings of a 100 or more. They state I have had no readings of systolic blood pressure over 160 which now is not the case. It may have been in 2004 I'd have to look. Since I have been on medications since 97 and have had readings over 100 and many in the high 150s / 90s range wouldn't that point to evidence that if I didn't take the medication my readings would have been over 160/100. Do you see my point? Since I got put on meds so quick there really is no evalaution period to look at. Since the rating states:

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control.

There was no chance for th history and I have been on continous medications - furthermore the rating states -

Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

I have a ton of readings with my diastolic pressure over 90mm. The 100mm readings have been confirmed by readings taken more than twice and on more than three days.

I fully understand how you are looking at it as is the VA but I think based on what I have wrote it should tip the scales. I also have seen many BVA cases that have less weight than mine get 10%. That is probably where this is going so maybe they will decide in my favor. Although they screwed once already. Thanks for your time!

100% P&T

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

George Washington

• HadIt.com Elder

The most important readings when it comes to essential Hypertension are the readings with your heart at rest. DIastolic readings over 100 are compensable. Pay more attention to the diastolic readings.

Usually the Doc will prescribe meds such as a dieuretic for High systolic readings, but for Diastolic readings you get beta blockers, ace inhibitors, ect.

You should file for an increase if your numbers are at 100 or higher disatolic.

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for your reply.

I have been on Lisinopril an ace inhibitor since 2003 and something else prior to that which the VA gave me and was bad for my asthma so a doctor that knew what he was doing switched me.

100% P&T

George Washington

Hi Ricky,

I understand what you are saying but here is my comeback. When I first was diagnosed with HBP I was immediately put on medications. Since that time which was 1997 the VA states I have had sporadic diastolic blood pressure readings of a 100 or more. They state I have had no readings of systolic blood pressure over 160 which now is not the case. It may have been in 2004 I'd have to look. Since I have been on medications since 97 and have had readings over 100 and many in the high 150s / 90s range wouldn't that point to evidence that if I didn't take the medication my readings would have been over 160/100. Do you see my point? Since I got put on meds so quick there really is no evalaution period to look at. Since the rating states:

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control.

There was no chance for th history and I have been on continous medications - furthermore the rating states -

Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

I have a ton of readings with my diastolic pressure over 90mm. The 100mm readings have been confirmed by readings taken more than twice and on more than three days.

I fully understand how you are looking at it as is the VA but I think based on what I have wrote it should tip the scales. I also have seen many BVA cases that have less weight than mine get 10%. That is probably where this is going so maybe they will decide in my favor. Although they screwed once already. Thanks for your time!

My post was meant to make you THINK!!! Line up your argument and back it with evidence as jbasser provided in his first post. I understand your point about being put on meds however, Doc's normally observe a patient for quite a while before prescribing meds for HTN. They normally start with diet, exercise etc...... then when there is no decrease then meds are added. This is the period from which you must take your readings from. Normally and more often than not a doc will do this over a 3-6 month period. He will also do things such as a 7 day BP check, 14 day BP check etc. Get these readings from your medical records for they are the ones you will need to use in your case. yes I understand that shortly after the diagnosis of HTN the meds were added but what happend during this lead up period.

Do away with language such as high 150's for it will get you no where. The law requires readings of 160/100 and that is what they are looking for. You can not roll the dice, get constant sixes and say I almost got a seven ahhahahahahahhaa just joking. Research, my friend, will get you where you want to go. There has to be a slew of 160/100 ratings in the pre-diagnosed days.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Ricky I appreciate your time and advice.

100% P&T

George Washington