Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Brother& His Claim

Rate this question

mymissie

Question

In march of this year,I had asked for advice from this Forum on filing a claim for my brother.

After many sleepyless nights,I was able to find his ( BURNED) medical files,got Notorised Statement from a friend who was there when he had his first heart failure(he was never told) in boot camp. He stayed in Army for 13 years,then just could not hack it any more!

When he had tried to re-enlist at a later date,he was refused,because his hearing was too bad. He applied,but was given -0-% Service connection hearing loss. Never Nodded!

He was sent to 7 C&P-was given hearing aid at once- Had a pace maker put in years ago. One other thing,he was having problem with his eyes,back in service. In the last few months,he was operated on Right eye,to try an save his sight in Right eye,now bring pressure down in Left eye to operate. (Glocoma)Not VN VET.

He is in a wheel chair,an one of his C&P Doctors STATED that THIS VET NEEDS TO RECIEVE A&A.

I applied for him in March of this year,an every time he calls they tell him that hes claim should be decided in 3 or 4 week. Ever time,same thing.

Now they found a growth (upper right lobe) but only after he had been telling them that he was coughting up blood. Because of Holidays, will not see Doctor until Wed. of next week!! Then do biopsie.

They do not know what it is yet,but he feels sure that its Cancer. He called me hoping I could somehow get his Disability before he dies!!! His wife is also disabled.

IDEARS ANYONE?????

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Lets hope it is not cancer but if it is than it can be treated. Hang in there I think that if there is anyone here who could win that claim for your brother it is you.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

In march of this year,I had asked for advice from this Forum on filing a claim for my brother.

After many sleepyless nights,I was able to find his ( BURNED) medical files,got Notorised Statement from a friend who was there when he had his first heart failure(he was never told) in boot camp. He stayed in Army for 13 years,then just could not hack it any more!

When he had tried to re-enlist at a later date,he was refused,because his hearing was too bad. He applied,but was given -0-% Service connection hearing loss. Never Nodded!

He was sent to 7 C&P-was given hearing aid at once- Had a pace maker put in years ago. One other thing,he was having problem with his eyes,back in service. In the last few months,he was operated on Right eye,to try an save his sight in Right eye,now bring pressure down in Left eye to operate. (Glocoma)Not VN VET.

He is in a wheel chair,an one of his C&P Doctors STATED that THIS VET NEEDS TO RECIEVE A&A.

I applied for him in March of this year,an every time he calls they tell him that hes claim should be decided in 3 or 4 week. Ever time,same thing.

Now they found a growth (upper right lobe) but only after he had been telling them that he was coughting up blood. Because of Holidays, will not see Doctor until Wed. of next week!! Then do biopsie.

They do not know what it is yet,but he feels sure that its Cancer. He called me hoping I could somehow get his Disability before he dies!!! His wife is also disabled.

IDEARS ANYONE?????

I seem to remember you as Marshall?

I suggest that you could write to the VARO Director- if you tell me what VARO I might be able to get their name- ask them (and send a copy of this letter) to the VARO itself as well as Attention Director-

asking for expeditious treatment-of the claim-

Tell them (or provide documentation)of what the VA doc said about A & A.

Also you could send them a query at the VA web site which would route directly to your VARO too- it would be good to put the Directors name on that so some clerk doesn't send you some off hand reply-ask for the actual status of the claim and voice the vet's concerns-in the query.

I have a critical vet who was just found to have a terminal illness- they have had his claim for over a year-

He went to get an IMO from his VA doctor and we will submit that with a request to expedite-

If this vet -God I hope not- is found to be critically ill-due to the biopsy results- that information should be sent to the dirctor too-

ALL these steps however might not get that claim moving-

Your Congressman or woman might be able to help-

I suggest that you call them and tell them the situation and ask- if they are willing to interfene-

if they would send out the Congressional authorization form immediately for this vet to sign-

this too will probably hold up the claim however-

The fact that his wife too is disabled is a point you must make-

has that been put into his claim? Is she totally disabled?

I hope this is not as serious as the vet thinks it is-

It is not the cancer part but the doctor's statement that alarms me here-

and the fact that the wife too is disabled.

Unfortunately when you take away those factors from your post- this vet is not unlike any other vet waiting for resolve.

PS the hearing loss claim- that should be CUED-

You will need the final decision on that and the rating sheet that showed "0"

It can be cued -in my way of thinking ,

because VA failed to apply the right diagnostic code in that decision reflecting his hearing loss -at legal detriment to the veteran.(proper SC award and retro)

Study some CUEs here and at my blog or the BVA web site- to see what I mean-

This is an excellent successful example of this type of CUE-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp02/files01/0204066.txt

Edited by Berta

I cannot tell you how many times I have been told, "they said my records were lost in the fire". The fire in St. Louis was contained to a very small portion of the total records stored and they know exactly which dates were lost. So, if your records do not fall in those dates, they were not lost. Period. The NARA website has the pertinent dates, so go there to see if you enlistment period fall within it, but mostly it was WWII vets, and some Korean era records. Nothing really recent.

I dont know WHY this keeps cropping up, but there you go.

Bob Smith