VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Help With Pension Benefits

Rate this question

Guest Morgan

Question

My husband's twin brother, a severe diabetic--NSC, had to have both legs amputated within the last four months and could not be fitted with a prosthetic device. He's a veteran, but misses the Vietnam wartime limits by about two weeks. He's getting VA medical care and pension pay already, but I'm wondering if benefits are available that we don't know about. Can anyone help?

Carrie

Edited by Morgan

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

the only other payment he might qualify for is aid and attendance I don't know how that works with the pensions though, maybe one of the smarter people here could answer it for us.

• HadIt.com Elder
My husband's twin brother, a severe diabetic--NSC, had to have both legs amputated within the last four months and could not be fitted with a prosthetic device. He's a veteran, but misses the Vietnam wartime limits by about two weeks. He's getting VA medical care and pension pay already, but I'm wondering if benefits are available that we don't know about. Can anyone help?

Carrie

Carrie, Is your brother in law getting a VA Pension?

My guess is that he's not getting VA Disability Pension (non-service connected) because he would need at least one day of war "era" service.

If he's in receipt of Social Security benefits, they might have a program for aid and attendance.

VA will only pay A&A to Veteran or Dependant who is in reciept of SC Disability or NSC Pension benefits.

I wish I had better news!

Has he ever tried to SC his Diabetes?

~Wings

Wings,

I don't really know too much about what he gets, but I agree it's probably VA Pension. How does that differ from peacetime compensation?

I just found out from my husband that his brother was in service nine years, and wanted to re-enlist, but he couldn't because of his weight. The military had put him on a strict nutrition and weight loss program just before he was discharged. Is there a rating for obesity? I've been looking but can't seem to find anything. I thought I remembered someone mentioning obesity or an eating disorder on hadit.

Carrie

Edited by Morgan

• HadIt.com Elder
Wings,

I don't really know too much about what he gets, but I agree it's probably VA Pension. How does that differ from peacetime compensation?

I just found out from my husband that his brother was in service nine years, and wanted to re-enlist, but he couldn't because of his weight. The military had put him on a strict nutrition and weight loss program just before he was discharged. Is there a rating for obesity? I've been looking but can't seem to find anything. I thought I remembered someone mentioning obesity or an eating disorder on hadit.

Carrie

Carrie, I don't think he's getting a VA Pension. It's important that you have this basic info. because if he DOES have a VA Pension, he should be able to get Aid&Attendance!

Maybe there's something in his service records - related to the diabetes and weight, maybe some preliminary medical testing . . . I'm wondering if and when he was first diagnosed with Diabetes? Maybe he had continuous problems since leaving the Army ... thinking out loud. If you haven't done so already, request his service medical records -- all service records. Keep us posted. I'm sorry for the loss of his legs. That's a hard one. God Bless. ~Wings

Carrie, I don't think he's getting a VA Pension. It's important that you have this basic info. because if he DOES have a VA Pension, he should be able to get Aid&Attendance!

Maybe there's something in his service records - related to the diabetes and weight, maybe some preliminary medical testing . . . I'm wondering if and when he was first diagnosed with Diabetes? Maybe he had continuous problems since leaving the Army ... thinking out loud. If you haven't done so already, request his service medical records -- all service records. Keep us posted. I'm sorry for the loss of his legs. That's a hard one. God Bless. ~Wings

Thanks, Wings, it has been extremely hard for him. And hard for the family to see this happen. He and my husband are close, as most twins are, and they are both dealing with so much right now.

I was thinking the same thing about his weight gain and diabetes. Surely, a lab or diagnostic test indicated a problem. He was slim when he went into service. He has his SMRs, so I 'm going to try to find out more.

Carrie

• HadIt.com Elder
Thanks, Wings, it has been extremely hard for him. And hard for the family to see this happen. He and my husband are close, as most twins are, and they are both dealing with so much right now.

I was thinking the same thing about his weight gain and diabetes. Surely, a lab or diagnostic test indicated a problem. He was slim when he went into service. He has his SMRs, so I 'm going to try to find out more.

Carrie

Carrie,

More Sources: Request via FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) 1. VA Medical Records, and 2. VARO Claims File.

You never know, he may have filed a Claim way back when!

I'm glad you are helping!

I did search Social Security and found that some states have a program called "In-Home Supportive Services". I don't know which state your vet lives in, but would be worth looking into.

Find out this week if he's got a VA Pension; if so, you can immediately request A&A.

Hang in there!