Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vorehab

Rate this question

jmack

Question

I am 100p/t and receiving ssdi, been out of work for about 18 months. Am I dreaming to think maybe I could handle taking some college courses to actually feel like I have a purpose? I must admit that I feel a bit of anxiety coming on just thinking of it. But I would like to try. One of my SC disabilities is MDD.

Jmack

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Does anyone know if VOC REHAB Pays for training completely? Especially, if you are receiving training at a college or university.

I recently completed my associates degree at a community college in the VOC REHAB program. Community colleges offer 2 year associates degree programs, then you must move onto a 4 year college or university to complete the rest. The community college I was attending was very close to my home, about 15 min drive there and 15 min drive back.

I applied to a couple of schools/universities for further training to obtain a bachelors in order to complete my program. I got accepted to some, however, all these places are quite far away.

I was told by my 1st VOC REHAB Counselor that even if you go to another state or somewhere far from my residence to get training at a college/university, they will pay for dorming and everything, they even said voc rehab is the best program as it provides you completely with anything you need.

The second counselor told me they will take away subsistence allowance and pay rent up to like $700 a month to pay for a place to stay while getting training.

The third counselor I have now says, no they will not pay for any dorming or anything, just books and tuition and that I am on my own to do the rest, but how if I have no job and the whole reason for me to be in the program is to help me get a job. I really don't get it and I am really depressed since I do not know how to continue the program or what to do. I made it this far and now there is a barrier.

I have had 3-4 voc rehab counselors during this time. It has really messed me up, when one person told me one thing, another told me something else, and now I have a counselor that says no you can't get a dorm to get training even though the places i got accepted to are far. Is there anyone here that has been in a similiar situation? How does VOC Rehab expect a Veteran to get training they need. Especially, when a Veteran has no job and is trying to get training to obtain a job? How do they get the help? If anyone is in a similiar situation or has received the necessary means to get training regardless of college/university location, please let me know. I have no idea which counselor knew what they were talking about and which one did not. Thanks.

If you are 100%, you need to look into the VocRehab INDEPENDENT LIVING PROGRAM.

You may be, initially, limited to 1 course per semester (as I was) to see if you can hack it.

Also, the ILP system starts with a comprehensive exam by a occupational therapist. He or she will look at your ENTIRE life situation, not just college issues.

I got a new therapeutic mattress and bed frame (due to my service-connected chronic fatigue syndrome) as well as college courses that I will most likely start in the fall. Plus I am petitioning to get a cheapo treadmill so I walk a few minutes a day, if possible.

If you or anyone else has any questions about ILP, just ask. Its geared towards those 60% and above and it does work IF you understand what it offers and have a solid plan for what you want to do in life.