Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can't Take Mental Harassment

Rate this question

simple fly

Question

this is in an area i can't categorize. i have been suffering from ptsd for 34 years,claim is in finally,diagnisis is done.since i got out of the military,i have worked twice for the federal govt.this time i can see retirement in the distance.now here's he problem,on a daily basis,my coworkers ,bang on my office wall for eight hours a day and run away,5 days a week.when i react,as i usually am scared shitless,they laugh and jeer. i have asked,pleaded,try to explain my ptsd.my supervisor has been unable to get them to back off.this has been going on for years.

what can i do?who can i turn to? my shrink knows this but offers no solution.i feel like i will lose it before i get my claim and retirement.

anyone ever get this treatment at work?and a federal gov job to boot.i need help soon.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Well then, while you're home today, you and your wife should go to the following website for federal employees filing an EEOC complaint (because it appears you have a long line of individuals who have gone before you with complaints). If you're in well enough shape today to do this, then take care of it, since you've got more than enough documentation that this is taking place, you've given your employer numerous opportunities to accomodate you, and they've failed to do so:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-fed.html

Come here and vent anytime you want. We hate the punks, too. My husband is a 'Nam vet, and the ticket agent at the airport, on my husband's trip hope from the war, tried to bounce him out of his seat for some sweet young blonde with a big chest. My husband has PTSD, so the story did not end well...

If you find that it works to your advantage to retire on disability, remember, you can still file an EEOC complaint afterwards. When you quit due to illegal harassment, that's called a "constructive discharge." That means you resigned due to circumstances that no reasonable person could or should be subjected to (in this case illegal discrimination based on disability status and age since you were called names because of your age), and that despite numerous times you asked your employer to resolve the problem, they did not do so. So, you were left with no other recourse than to leave your job.

Simple fly, do you belong to a union? If so, have you spoken to your union rep about this?

Re: "my boss told me yesterday she would appeal to them to stop,but that has not stopped it yet.today,i am home on a sick day.my leave is down to nothing because i can't bear to go to work over this."

This doesn't help in any way, but your boss has to be the weakest supervisor on this planet.

She is going to "appeal" to them to stop. That makes me ill--she is a greater problem than the jerks who torment you.

As stated previously, you are getting great advice from some others. I would like to emphasize that

you should obtain/keep documentation that supports your case. Things like email and letters from your supervisor and others in workplace would be best. Correspondence between you and your family will be of little help.

Please keep in mind that your supervisor probably realizes she is a poor supervisor and might be building a case (i.e., documenting) against YOU as being a troublesome employee in order to cover up her inadequacies. I gave this same advice to my brother several years ago in Houston.

He had this quaint idea that since he never missed work, worked overtime without compensation,

and had more experience (by virtue of his time in the military) than his supervisor--he would never be terminated. Later, it was attempted, but due to him documenting the crazy directions that his supervisor gave him--she was let go a month later and he got a raise.

Take care of yourself and don't assume just because you are a great employee that good things are going to happen in this situation eventually--unless you are proactive.

I hope to read at some time in the future that this has all ended in your favor.

Ron

Edited by Ron II

Ron's right. It occurred to me that your supervisor may intentionally be setting you up to make you really miserable so you'll quit. However, she's not up front about it, and so she's stepping back, making excuses, and allowing your co-workers to harass you. More importantly, the treatment is making your condition worse. This is a legal argument that can cost them. Your condition is not staying the same, it's getting increasingly worse as a result of your work environment.

But now, you have a battle plan. Put it down on paper so you can make it into something tangible, and start putting one foot in front of the other to enforce it. It will make you feel much better about your situation in the short term, and give you a better handle on where your future is headed. Your wife should be a great deal of assistance in helping you focus on your strategy, once you determine what it is, so you realize you're not only doing this for your welfare, but for hers as well.