VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are You On Individual Unemployablity (iu)? Beware!

Rate this question

WeAre#1

Question

I work at a VA Regional Office. I have seen literally dozens of IU cases where VA is proposing to reduce Individual Unemployablity for failure to return VA form 21-4140 http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/21-4140-1.PDF. This is an old revived tactic of the VA recently taken advantage of after more than 5 years of doing so.

Many if these veterans have moved and VA does not have a valid address for them. Therefore, the form never gets returned and hence the proposal to reduce takes place. With this in mind, I fear these veterans will not know to fill out the form until they get finally reduced. Please inform all of your friends. Also, go to your local chapter or post and inform your comrades!

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm IU and P&T, have been for 6 years and have never seen that Form! Should I send one in to CMA?!

Red

The poster is talking about Individual Unemployability not Total and Permanent - YOU'RE OK

After 10 years the VA cannot take away your rating - but can reduce it (except if fraud is proven)

After 20 years the VA cannot reduce your rating (except if fraud is proven)

If you were 100% Total and Permanent for a period of ten years preceeding your death and were married to your wife during that whole period - she is eligible for DIC because no matter what you die of the VA must consider your death service connected. Here is an attached copy of that law:

The 10 year rule does not grant SC for death....but it gives all same benefits with the exception of monies paid for burial.

I'm IU and P&T, have been for 6 years and have never seen that Form! Should I send one in to CMA?!

No, but you should make sure VA has your correct address so if they do send it you will get it.

Read the law "continuously rated total for ten or more years . . . . . ."

Uh Um. You see you are so wrong.

You can read this under 38 C.F.R. § 3.1600 (a) and (:D. PLease do not hurt our friends by giving misleading information. It could be detrimental. read the VA website below to see as well.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/burial.htm

If you are IU, you must die of CS condition to get SC death benefits! If death is non-SC, you get non-sc death benefits

Edited by WeAre#1

Hey buddy, when did I ever say IU could not get DIC? I did not. I guess i should have broken it down more specifically for you and said burial benefits. I took for granted you know more than you do. I won't make the same mistake twice!