VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are You On Individual Unemployablity (iu)? Beware!

Rate this question

WeAre#1

Question

I work at a VA Regional Office. I have seen literally dozens of IU cases where VA is proposing to reduce Individual Unemployablity for failure to return VA form 21-4140 http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/21-4140-1.PDF. This is an old revived tactic of the VA recently taken advantage of after more than 5 years of doing so.

Many if these veterans have moved and VA does not have a valid address for them. Therefore, the form never gets returned and hence the proposal to reduce takes place. With this in mind, I fear these veterans will not know to fill out the form until they get finally reduced. Please inform all of your friends. Also, go to your local chapter or post and inform your comrades!

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you are 100%, this has no effect on you, right. How many years do you have to be P&T before it can not be taken away and how many years to you have to be P&T so you wifes continues to receive your benefits if you die. Also, does the time you were I/U count toward this time? Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I got the IU form in the mail a few days ago and filled it out and returned it to the VA. It seems really thin to reduce a vet based on the fact that he did not return a form sent to him that is not even certified mail. What proof does the VA have they even sent the form? I will call the VA in a few days to make sure they received my IU form.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you move be sure and notify VA of address change. It is required and could solve a lot of these problems.

I received that very form(214140) last Sept,2005. That was exactly 1 month after Katrina hit us.I ofcouse didn't loose my home as many from this area did. So there's know telling where some of those folks might be or even if they are getting their mail.

The VARO in N.O.,LA had their return address but when I sent it back registered mail ,it was received in Oklahoma regional office. I kept all my proof of return.

The main point I'm making here these guys at R.O.are playing on those people misfortune of not having an address. The VARO in N.O. was flooded as was the hospital. Neither of those places are reopened yet. Looks like it going to be along time also. Who knows where all our records are? They may not even exist anymore. I have people that I have helped in filing claims who have no idea what to do and no one answers the 800 since Katrina.

The positive point is I have not missed my check, which I think ,comes out Dallas .