Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going Through Va Claims And Need Help

Rate this question

devildog1978

Question

Good Evening,

I am pending a medical discharge for rheumatoid arthritis consider adult onset still's disease. The arthritis is active bilaterally in my hands, wrists, and ankles. In addition, I have loss of hearing and tinnitus (sp?) in my right ear; bilateral release in my right knee with 15% loss of function (as per ortho surgeon); I require orthopedic inserts in my shoes; recently diagnosed with asthma; and some mental trauma as a result of my daughter being born at 1 lb 11 inches long and passing away after six months of life stuck in a hospital hooked up to various machines. All of this in 5 short years of service. I have no clue what to expect going through this process and I have heard numerous horror stories. Can someone give me an idea of what I can expect from the VA in terms of help after I depart the Marine Corps. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

'Coop'

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome and yes we hear you. Thats quite a summary; first thing, obtain a copy of all military medical records that support your issues. Also get supervisor and buddy letters. Did you have chaplain assistance, get copy of that info also. Records, letters, names, addresses sometimes very difficult to get 'later on'. Read posts here.

Take qualty time to outprocess if you are given a medical discharge. There are few favors done for indiviuals leaving active duty. When and if you are given a physical, nothing should be left to chance. Make sure you identify any and every medical issue you may have from on duty, in any on the job military accident, training, permanent or temporay duty, the particular base, post, etc.

List medical issues by medical name whenever possible. Cut = Laceration, Boil = Infection, Sad = Depression, etc. My back was hurt in the military and I requested compensation from the VA. I claimed for a hurt back now diagnosed as lumbar strain with degerative disk disease.

Hope you are patient with yourself and keep organized notes fom the get go.

Have a nice weekend and you'll do fine,

Best to ya,

Cowgirl

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

As usual great advice from Cowgirl. Also, continue to go to sick bay whenever you contemplate whether you should or not. If you are thinking about having to go, then you should go. The VA wants documentation, documentation.... sometimes you'll feel like a sick bay vet, but it will help in your claim later on. If you haven't already done so, find a strong Veteran Services Officer (VSO) in your area. The best place to look is at your local VA clinic or you can check with people here at hadit who may be in your area. A good VSO can get the ball rolling for you early and hopefully, that will alleviate some headaches in the future. You have many conditions that deserve a rating, now you just need to get them properly documented by your docs. Good luck and hang in there. Hopefully, you won't have to go through the nightmares some of the others have had to endure.

PM

s/ Mags

We kept our promise and served honorably. Now it is time for the VA to keep their's!

I am not an attorney or VSO and offer my opinions free of charge. Any advice I provide in my posts is from experiences I have had with the VA or I have the knowledge that others have encoutered. I accept no liability for this advice should you chose to follow it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Devildog:

Welcome to Hadit. You have gotten good advice.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thank you all for your advice. I will be checking in often as I go through this process. As an active duty member I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your service to our great country. I look forward to joining your ranks as a veteran of this country.

Semper Fidelis

'Coop'

Does anyone have any idea of what disability rating I might end up with? I am concerned about my ability to keep a job when the rheumatoid arthritis acts up. It would be nice to have an amount that would pay for monthly groceries for a family of three.

Semper Fidelis

'Coop'