VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Traveling Bva Vs. Bva Washington Dc

Rate this question

Stretch

Question

• In Memoriam

I went to see the VSO in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I have my SSOC, 12-28-05. The VSO told me that if I wanted a hearing, in Washington D.C., that I would have to wait 5 to 10 years at this point. This VSO told me that he could not represent me at a traveling board hearing, because it was all the way to Little Rock. This VSO claimed that he had to many claims, 1000 to handle by himself.

I would like to know the advantages, or disadvantages, of the Traveling BVA and the BVA in D.C. I have told the Regional Office to wave my 60 days to expedite my claims. I did not send in the appeal form yet.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Stretch,

If you request the traveling board BVA hearing, it is supposed to be quicker. My husband had one and we are faily close to our RO. His SO went with us, but he was of no help. I handled the entire case for my husband myself. Ended up with two instant approvals.

We lucked out in getting a fairly quick hearing. We happened to be at the RO about my husbands claims and was trying to get some information as to when the BVA traveling board was due to come to our RO. Our request for a BVA hearing had been in for quite a while. It just so happened that the schedule was being set up and they had a cancellation. We were asked if we wanted to waive the 60 days and if so, they would try and get us scheduled. Well, we managed to get into the hearing. Had to work my butt off to get prepared, but I managed it in time.

The thing with the traveling board is that they schedule ahead of time the claims they will be hearing on each day. Since so many things can happened in between, they get cancellations or veterans just don't show up for their hearing. This then leaves an open slot. You may want to look into this. Can't hurt.

mssoup

Guest allanopie

>If you request the traveling board BVA hearing, it is supposed to be quicker.

Not sure what you call, quicker. It took 4 yrs before I recieved a traveling board hearing from the BVA. That was back in 2000 or maybe 2002. Can't remember for sure. My claims been on the "remand" rollarcoaster ever since. It's probably been remanded to the Singapore contractors, that subbed it out to Chinese Walmart employees.

>If you request the traveling board BVA hearing, it is supposed to be quicker.

Not sure what you call, quicker. It took 4 yrs before I recieved a traveling board hearing from the BVA. That was back in 2000 or maybe 2002. Can't remember for sure. My claims been on the "remand" rollarcoaster ever since. It's probably been remanded to the Singapore contractors, that subbed it out to Chinese Walmart employees.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say is that you are told if you request the traveling board hearing vs. going to Washington, D.C., you may get a hearing quicker. Can you really count on that to happen? No. It is like everything else. I see some postings where decisions by the RO on certain claims are made in 3 months or less and then you have others who have waited years, even though they have the evidence they need to get a decision made. Nothing makes sense at the RO level to me. They state that your claim gets put in a pile on someones desk and when your turn comes around, then they start working on your claim. I even question this.

I think the only reason we managed to get the BVA hearing at the time we did was that we were at the right place at the right time.

mssoup

• HadIt.com Elder

There is another alternative, you can request a Video Conference with the BVA, if your local VARO has the setup for it.

I went to see the VSO in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I have my SSOC, 12-28-05. The VSO told me that if I wanted a hearing, in Washington D.C., that I would have to wait 5 to 10 years at this point. This VSO told me that he could not represent me at a traveling board hearing, because it was all the way to Little Rock. This VSO claimed that he had to many claims, 1000 to handle by himself.

I would like to know the advantages, or disadvantages, of the Traveling BVA and the BVA in D.C. I have told the Regional Office to wave my 60 days to expedite my claims. I did not send in the appeal form yet.

I put in my request for a travel board hearing in june 04 and I'm still not on the list yet.There is no way of knowing when you will be added to the list.

• In Memoriam

I was also told, by the VFW VSO North Little Rock, that if one or more of my claims are denied, by the BVA traveling board, that I can get a lawyer, and that the lawyer can represent me with my other claims that are still at the VARO level.

Does anyone know if this is true?