• donate-be-a-hero.png

Translation Please?

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

This is something from a barium swallowing test. :angry:

Translation please?

"moderate hypertrophic spurring & disc space narrowing at the cervical spine."

Spurring refers to arthritis. Yes? Disc narrowing I have saome idea. But the rest exceeds my understanding.

Thanks!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hypertrophic means enlarges or larger than normal and thickening.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hypertrophic means that the disc is dehydrating, and that is why the space is narrowing. That IS degenerative disc disease. Spurring is arthritic changes, most often seen on the facet joints.

90%, TDIU P&T

So I'm catching it both ways. :angry:

What bothers me is that word moderate.

I'm in knee braces, on canes, walker and scooter and take meds for chronic pain. In all these conditions they use the word "mild."

So my neck is "moderate." it's no wonder I have pain in my neck.

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay, I found this. The Hyertrophy is the build up or enlargement of normal bony tissue, Bone suprrs are called oayphites and they can tear disks up. Kind of like rubbing something against a piece of nonskid floring.

Read below for a complete description of the Disk. If you really want to see a g r eat site that wexplains it all with Videos and the works, Here it is:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/videos/degene...e-disc-disease/

John

Intervertebral Discs

Keith Bridwell, MD

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Washington University School of Medicine

St. Louis, MO

The intervertebral discs make up one fourth of the spinal column's length. There are no discs between the Atlas (C1), Axis (C2), and Coccyx. Discs are not vascular and therefore depend on the end plates to diffuse needed nutrients. The cartilaginous layers of the end plates anchor the discs in place.

The intervertebral discs are fibrocartilaginous cushions serving as the spine's shock absorbing system, which protect the vertebrae, brain, and other structures (i.e. nerves). The discs allow some vertebral motion: extension and flexion. Individual disc movement is very limited – however considerable motion is possible when several discs combine forces.

Annulus Fibrosus and Nucleus Pulposus

Intervertebral discs are composed of an annulus fibrosus and a nucleus pulposus.

The annulus fibrosus is a strong radial tire–like structure made up of lamellae; concentric sheets of collagen fibers connected to the vertebral end plates. The sheets are orientated at various angles. The annulus fibrosus encloses the nucleus pulposus.

Although both the annulus fibrosus and nucleus pulposus are composed of water, collagen, and proteoglycans (PGs), the amount of fluid (water and PGs) is greatest in the nucleus pulposus. PG molecules are important because they attract and retain water. The nucleus pulposus contains a hydrated gel–like matter that resists compression. The amount of water in the nucleus varies throughout the day depending on activity.

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.