VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psychological Disorder

Rate this topic

At age 60 I have been diagnosed with adult ADHD. The VA psychologist says they do not recognize this only in children. I am suppose to have a psychological evalution from the Psychologist and she asked me if I could read and I said yes. She asked me some questions to determine which type of questions to give me. I have been waiting now for a month for them to set this up. I cannot cope day to day so go to a private psychiatrist and take a variety of meds because I cannot just wait for the VA to decide when they want to see me. The VA says they cannot treat me if I go to a private doctor. I understand but who can wait a month to get stable. I take closepam for me nerves and so I can sleep. I am 100% for advanced prostate cancer but my mental problems happened when my father died in July and started having panic attacks. The VA seems to group veterans into drug abuse patients and do not want to give any medicine that might be addictive. The low dose of Closepam I take is not addictive.But the VA says any of the "pams" are like crack. I am just trying to cope with life in general since my father died I am not wanting to be a drug addict.

I remember when I came home from Vietnam and was having instant stress syndrome instead of post tramatic and I went to the VA and the docor asked if I was taking drugs and I said yes. he was so happy since she said by admitting my problem is half the battle. I said I was taking Thorazine and she got mad and asked no what drugs like marijuana, heroin, opium , lsd was I taking. I said no I just take prescription drugs. She said she could not help me. Here I am 40 years later still having problems and not being able to find help.

I have never been able to read a book just short stories and newspapers. My mine feels like it goes a hundred miles an hour. When I drive my eyes dart back and forth and I see so much more than the average person. This stresses me out because I cannot understand why others do not see what I see. I have trouble iwth work because my mind wanders from one task to another and I find myself going to something else without finishing the first task. I lose track of time and start talking to a co worker and finally realize I should be back finishing my project.

Sorry to be so lenghty but having trouble getting help either privately or VA. I am taking four meds that say I should be caustious while driving a car or operating machinery. At this point I am scared to drive so I take the less traveled roads. If I get on the freeway it's like dodgem cars and I get road rage so much I feel like ramming their cars. I just want to stop the madness. Only the good lord is looking after me and keeping me safe.

I feel better when I can write this down because I cannot express myself verbally to the doctors usually because I cannot stay on task. I told them I feel that I have a mild form of bi-polar because I am either depressed or panic attacked and screaming at people. But this is only when I am under stress. Right now I am going back into my depressed state watching TV and not accomplishing anything.

Well that's it from me.

Cuchi

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Cuchi:

ADHD is much more common than people think and it runs in family. I probably have it also. I get 4 megs of xanax a day which had just been changed to 3mg clonazapam I think the same thing you are taking and 1 mg of xanax. I sort of do better with it although I am having sleep problems and high levels of anxiety.

The loss of your father is probably the stressor that is causing most of your problems and the VA should be willing to help you out. I am not a Doctor but I think the VA is doing a lousy job on you.

I wish that there was some advise I could give you but if you have any other insurance maybe you should consider going to someone else . Good Luck