Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Korean Veteran

Rate this question

mark sr

Question

I'm helping my dad with his claim for benefits. He served from 1949 to 1951. He filed a claimed for injuries he received while on active duty and requested a CP exam. Two months later he was denied without a CP exam and was told the record was void of his issues. I am wondering if his records were destroyed in the fire of '73'? Would the VA say the records are void if they were destroyed in the fire? Should he file an NOD next? I am grateful for any help.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Is he still within the year in which to file a NOD?

When was the denial received?

He should try to obtain copy of his SMRs himself.They are probably at NARA-VA would have said if the SMRs were destroyed in the St Louis fire (but a vet should not believe that without checking-I have seen SMRs that were'destroyed 'in the 1973 fire)

http://www.archives.gov/

Click on Military Service Records- he will be filing out a SF 180-

He should request on it all service medical and personnel records.

Then he prints off the bar coded thing, signs, makes copy for himself, and sends that to where directed on the SF 180.

If he had medic treatment while on active duty it should be noted in his SMRS.

If it isnt, he might need to obtain a buddy statement as proof of the injury.

Thanks for answering my request on the Korean Question. I do have another question though. I have a copy of his 214, can I use an SF 180 to request his SMR's and 201 file? If not, where may I obtain these? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Mark

Thanks for answering my request on the Korean Question. I do have another question though. I have a copy of his 214, can I use an SF 180 to request his SMR's and 201 file? If not, where may I obtain these? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Mark

Is he still within the year in which to file a NOD?

When was the denial received?

He should try to obtain copy of his SMRs himself.They are probably at NARA-VA would have said if the SMRs were destroyed in the St Louis fire (but a vet should not believe that without checking-I have seen SMRs that were'destroyed 'in the 1973 fire)

http://www.archives.gov/

Click on Military Service Records- he will be filing out a SF 180-

He should request on it all service medical and personnel records.

Then he prints off the bar coded thing, signs, makes copy for himself, and sends that to where directed on the SF 180.

If he had medic treatment while on active duty it should be noted in his SMRS.

If it isnt, he might need to obtain a buddy statement as proof of the injury.

If he is within one year of the denial letter he should file a NOD.

Otherwise he will have to re-open his claim with new and material evidence.

The NARA link will have the SF 180 right there- he can file it right on line.

The bar coded print out sheet -that the site will direct him too-once they get it at NARA- will associate his signature with his records request.

I hope this procedure has not changed-please advise -anyone- if it has-

I had no problem getting my husband's USN records via SF 180 at NARA web site with a letter from them stating that his USMC records were at the Buffalo VARO (which is where they were supposed to be).

After filing out the SF 180 on line- then signing, copying and mailing the print out bar coded thing-it took about 3-4 weeks to get them.

-