Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Conection

Rate this question

schauba

Question

I was in iraq and suffered from chest pain and shortness of breath. When i went to sick call they treated me as muscle pain i told them that i think i have asmha. I am out of the military and i have asmha but they denied my service connection because of nothing in my medical records. What else can I do?

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is common. When you file a VA Claim, the Regional Office sends for your military records.

You need to send the RO a Formal Request in writing, asking for a copy of your VA Claims-File or Claims-Folder.

Specifically state: I request a copy of my full and complete VA Claims File. I make this request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Sign and Date your request.

Expext a delay, especially if they are still working your claim.

Keep a copy of all your VA Corespondance in a safe place at home.

ok i don't know much about the va so you have to explain. This formal request in writing can i write this on a blank piece of paper or do i have to do it on a special piece of paper. Do i make it out to the ro or do i need to find out this person's name.

• HadIt.com Elder
ok i don't know much about the va so you have to explain. This formal request in writing can i write this on a blank piece of paper or do i have to do it on a special piece of paper. Do i make it out to the ro or do i need to find out this person's name.

Yes, You can hand write it on a plain piece of paper ;-)

Send it to the VARO that's working your claim - - include your Social Security Number at the top right hand corner of your letter.

Guest Namvet6567

Here's a sample you can use:

Insert date

Insert your mailing address

Town, state, zip code

Department of Veterans Affairs

Regional Office

Insert VA’s mailing address

Attn: Veterans Service Center

Re: Insert your Last name, first, MI

Claims file number

Dear Sirs:

Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), I request you send me one (1) complete free copy, of any and all, of my claims file and records, including C&P exam reports and award decisions (sometimes referred to as blue sheets), in your custody, so that I may check them for errors, omissions and completeness.

Thanking you in advance, for your anticipated assistance, I remain . . .

Cordially Yours;

Insert your signature here

Insert your name here

Nice touch- the blue sheets-- great idea----!!!

this is one of the BEST things any vet can do-get a copy of their c file.

I noticed something odd in my c file-(there was plenty I was surprised about)

One rating decision omitted any SMC consideration for the veteran -my husband-

This seems to be what they sent me-SMC not mentioned-

The copy of this same rating decision in the C file -specifically denied SMC.

I have a CUE on this matter and now I think-had I seen the real decision I could have NODded it long ago-

I did not realise, nor did my new vet rep, that the conditions under "NSC" were all Sec 1151s that should have had SMC consideration.

Has anyone else found this- you get something and it is a little different from what the C file has in it?

Guest Namvet6567

Berta, you're the one that gave me the idea for the blue sheets. Years ago, they used to come with the decision but recently they keep them or if you request them, actually cut the signatures out. I've seen records with holes in them where the VA has cut them out. Employee safety, first!!!!!!