Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sarcoidosis Due To Deck Grinding

Rate this question

roadking

Question

Hello all, I was wondering if any other navy vet has been diagnosed with sarcoidosis, I was diagnosed with it several years after being discharged. I do not have a family history of it, and for that matter never even new what it was. I was doing some reserch on it and found several studies linking it to anti skid material used on ships. I was exposed to tons of the stuff when stationed on the JFK CV 67 in the ship yards they grinded the flight deck and hanger bay and I can remember clouds of the stuff and it going through the ventilation system. I did put a claim in for it with records from when I was hospitalized for it and also submitted the studies that the navy had done on the effects of anti skid grindings. I was denied SC for it and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://www.stopsarcoidosis.org/sarcoidosis/diagnosis.htm

http://www.stopsarcoidosis.org/patientresources/links.htm

I agree with rocky. and i've seen it at autopsy. nasty disease. also checked social security blue book under immune diseases which it is not mentioned specifically. it is thought to be an immune response and have possibly a genetic predisposition. the above website might help you find a doc that will go to bat for you. it is more treatment oriented. the research docs might be a good source. they want to understand the etiology and they are not doctor docs who are most often totally treatment oriented.

it can be an incidental finding at autopsy, provided you have one. (be good. a suspicious death will get you in the MEs office in a nanosecond and you'll be naked two minutes later---gutted like a fish). im waxing sorry.

the real danger is in pulmonary fibrosis which can kill in very short order. the lung alveoli are destroyed and no more air exchange is possible. does the VA recognize silicosis, pulmonary fibrosis (i think this is a yes) asbestos as disease processes? then they should recognize sacoidosis.

patti

Thanks to all who have posted. I was not aware of the "Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research". I am now. I have not done much reading on this disease since 1984. Today, thanks to all of you, I will. We all learn from each other's post, good and bad--positive and negative. All my serv connected conditions are orth/neuro. I plan on some additional medical followup on my sarcoidosis. Hopefully, nothing will show. Again, thanks to all of you for the advice. I do thank my lucky stars. God bless!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

• HadIt.com Elder

To all folks who were denied because of a rating decision stating that you were not treated in the military, consider the following.

Get a copy of your SMR and all other treatment for the time you were in service and a year after. Read them yourself and if there is anything you do not completely understand have your doctor explain them to you.

I was denied for angioedema because the raters said I was not treated in the military. Also, there was a poster who was denied for Polycythemia Vera (PV)because of no inservice treatment.

After my denial I got a copy of my SMR and there was a group of symptoms that I did not understand. After review by a immunologist it turned out that all those symptoms were angioedema. I was later SC'd. The vet with Polycythemia Vera (PV)was also SC'd because of blood tests noted on his discharge exam.

Raters are not doctors and immune system diseases are way over their head.

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS,

Veterans Health Administration

Washington, D.C. 20420

Under Secretary for Health's Information Letter (May 27, 2005) IL 10-2005-011

"Sarcoidosis"

By: Johnathan B. Perlin MD, PhD,MSHA,FACP

Under Secretary for Health

*Berta*: This may be an older version of the info you posted. It is somewhat informative. I have a copy of the above letter, but I am technically challenged with computers and no scanner, which means I can't post it. Hopefully, someone more adept than I can retrieve this to post(??).