Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Sure Where To Go From Here!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

After almost 3 years and 2 denials from the VA, I thought I had the answer from my private cardiologist. I had an appt with him approx 1 month ago and after listening to me and reading all my notes he indicated that he wanted to help me with a letter to the VA that would help me with my claim. Well he sent a letter to my VSO lady and basically said that I have 2 different heart conditions and that they are not related and that is why the VA has denied my claims. I was stunned and my VSO lady was also upset and couldn't believe it. I don't know which way to go now.

A little history on my claims- I was discharged from the Navy back in 1966 with a heart condition known as PAT (Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia). The US Navy determined it was bad enough that they discharged me after 2 years. They said it was SC and gave me 10% for a little over 1 year and then took it away for no apparent reason. I have been in and out of hospitals the last 35 years and I had a heart attack almost 3 years ago that has disabled me to the point that I am not able to work any more. I started collecting SSDI and that is what I live on, barely. I also suffer from anxiety, depression and a mild case of PTSD, all related to my heart attack. I have seen VA shrinks, physcologists, counselors and cardiologists and not one of them wants to get involved and help me. I have had 2 C&P exams and have failed both of them, meaning that my claims were denied based on what the NP from the C&P exams wrote.

I know that I need a nexus letter from a private cardiologist to help me with my claims, but I can't afford to pay for one, as I am on SSDI and my wife got laid off 6 months ago.

I just don't know which way to go now and my VSO lady has indicated that she is also not sure what she can do for me anymore.

I would appreciate ANY help from the Hadit members as my back is against the wall.

Thank you in advance, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Brian

Get a lawyer. You have that right now. If your SC was severed 35 years ago then you probably need some help to get it back after all these years. If your SC was severed for reasons that violate VA rules you might be entitled to mucho retro pay. A good and experienced lawyer might be able to sort this out.

john999,

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I can afford a lawyer. Do they work on a "get paid when I win the case". How would one go about finding a lawyer that deals with VA? Do I go look in the Yellow Pages or on the internet? The VA paid me 10% back in 1966 for 1 year and stopped payment and said that I didn't need it anymore. Whatever that means. How would I find out if it was severed for reasons that violate VA rules. By the way, I am still SC at 0%. I also am in the medical system and get my drugs through the VA. Thanks for your help, Brian

if you go to the va nova site on internet, i think his name is richard cohen, the lawyer who is the head of it. they have va lawyers listed by state. good luck.

john999,

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I can afford a lawyer. Do they work on a "get paid when I win the case". How would one go about finding a lawyer that deals with VA? Do I go look in the Yellow Pages or on the internet? The VA paid me 10% back in 1966 for 1 year and stopped payment and said that I didn't need it anymore. Whatever that means. How would I find out if it was severed for reasons that violate VA rules. By the way, I am still SC at 0%. I also am in the medical system and get my drugs through the VA. Thanks for your help, Brian

• HadIt.com Elder
After almost 3 years and 2 denials from the VA, I thought I had the answer from my private cardiologist. I had an appt with him approx 1 month ago and after listening to me and reading all my notes he indicated that he wanted to help me with a letter to the VA that would help me with my claim. Well he sent a letter to my VSO lady and basically said that I have 2 different heart conditions and that they are not related and that is why the VA has denied my claims. I was stunned and my VSO lady was also upset and couldn't believe it. I don't know which way to go now.

A little history on my claims- I was discharged from the Navy back in 1966 with a heart condition known as PAT (Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia). The US Navy determined it was bad enough that they discharged me after 2 years. They said it was SC and gave me 10% for a little over 1 year and then took it away for no apparent reason. I have been in and out of hospitals the last 35 years and I had a heart attack almost 3 years ago that has disabled me to the point that I am not able to work any more. I started collecting SSDI and that is what I live on, barely. I also suffer from anxiety, depression and a mild case of PTSD, all related to my heart attack. I have seen VA shrinks, physcologists, counselors and cardiologists and not one of them wants to get involved and help me. I have had 2 C&P exams and have failed both of them, meaning that my claims were denied based on what the NP from the C&P exams wrote.

I know that I need a nexus letter from a private cardiologist to help me with my claims, but I can't afford to pay for one, as I am on SSDI and my wife got laid off 6 months ago.

I just don't know which way to go now and my VSO lady has indicated that she is also not sure what she can do for me anymore.

I would appreciate ANY help from the Hadit members as my back is against the wall.

Thank you in advance, Brian

Brian, My email silverwings@justice.com, we'll have coffee in town ... ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

Brian, My email silverwings@justice.com, we'll have coffee in town ... ~Wings

Wings, I sent you an e-mail at the above address. Brian