Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inhouse Ptsd Therapy Question.

Rate this question

tagandbag

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was at a group sesion a week ago and one of the guys asked if you go through the "Specialized Inpatient PTSD Units ( SIPUs), that provide trauma-focused evaluation, education, and psychotherapy for a period of 28 to 90 days of hospital admission", you will automatically be rated at 100%, upon completion. I replied no and one of the other group members said yes, I said are you sure, I have never heard of that. Out of respect and not knowing for sure, I chose not to question his sources. So, has any of you heard of this, I would think if you went through this program, it would hinder 100% rating not improve it. I personally would not want to take it, for fear that the VA would say I am cured, upon completing the course.

" In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a Congress"

- John Adams

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations Hugh, and thank you for your service to your fellow vets. I remember back in the early 1980's, just after the wall was dedicated in D.C.. Massachusetts had an excellent Vietnam veterans advocates program. Very progressive state for vets, back then.

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

With respect to all veterans who feel the VA has not given them adequate mental/physical health service. I dont know whether I am living in a different world or just naive. Since using the VA for the past 6 yrs, I am satisfied with my healthcare at the Miami VAMC. I think my Tdoc in my PTSD group is excellent and and I can say most of the group agrees. My Pdoc is ok, it seems she is just there for regulating your mood meds and seems like the typical govt employer. My primary physican is pretty good also and seems to have genuine concern on my health issues. By the way they are all women. I have only been in the VA hospital for one procedure and that was a colonoscopy and it went well. I talk with a lot of vets and there wives and 99% of the time I hear nothing but praise/satisfaction about the care they recieved, while in the hospital. Most of the discontent that I have seen is at pharmacy, when waiting in line for meds. VA is the largest HMO in the world and from what I have experienced they seem to be quite efficient at it. There is always room for improvement as the VA is not a perfect world. I personaly do not like the pill splitting on my meds. Its a pain in the a#$, if there odd shaped or not scored, its a pain. I personaly like the meds by mail and use Myhealthevet, for refills, very easy. Better than standing in line at a pharmacy. Now I am not saying the VA is the best thing since sliced bread and if I wanted to use another doctor/hospital for some procedure, I would not hesitate. Overall I think the care I get is quite good from the VA and thankful I have the option of using it. This is just my personal opinion and the VA is what it is, big.

T&B

" In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a Congress"

- John Adams

• HadIt.com Elder

I cannot speak for other people with PTSD, all I know is that I have combat and non-combat stressors. My non-combat stressors were military law enforcement, CID. Many of you would hate me for that little admission. When people did horrible things to themselves and others night and day, I was there for three years, and then was so thoroughly burned out that I still do not function well at times. I was seeking help on active duty, and every last shrink I have met VA, and Private have diagnosed me with Severe PTSD. I do best to try to forget. If I had to dredge up the memories for therapy on a constant basis I would need more than the 2 drugs I already take. In fact I am pretty sure that ending things would seem like a comfort. So there is no way in heck that I will submit to such an endeavor with the VA, or anyone else for that matter.

• HadIt.com Elder

For countless generations, including mine(Vietnam era ), combat related stress disorders were considered manifestations of poor self discipline or cowardice. It wasn't until 1980, the medical community officially recognized PTSD as a disability. For many years we were made to feel ashamed by both the V.A. and our fellow countrymen. Just watch old 1970's made for TV movies...etc, The proper diagnosis at that time was " Crazy Vietnam Vet". Easily dismissed as a nut. In the old days, the V.A. staffers would write up a "blue page" on you if you complained and then used it against you later. The medical community was slow to accept PTSD. Many of the older docs and care givers had blood on there hands, and could not admit that they were mistaken or ignorant of the true nature of PTSD. 58,000 U.S. troops died in the Vietnam war. Last time I checked, ( over 10 years ago ), many more than 58,000 committed suicide after the war. Over the years I have talked with thousands of veterans. I have witnessed many WWII vets, who tried to forget or refused to dredge up memories of that Great War, break down and cry 50 or 60 years after the experience. Trying to forget is an option, but I'm not too keen on the idea. I had to confront my demons many decades ago, and sometimes go it alone. I have walked up to the edge of the abyss in my younger days and found comfort in thinking that ending it all was an option. I kept that to myself, and soldiered on. Never give up. Never give in. Looking back and now awaiting the birth of my Grandchild, I am so grateful to still be here. To live another day, no matter what the night my bring. Just waking up in the morning and being grateful and acknowledge that the nightmare was just a dream becomes a comfort and a tool to deal with PTSD. Like MikeR posted here, "I cannot speak for other people with PTSD", only for my self. I am still here and no matter what, suicide is not an option. The sun will rise tomorrow, the new year will be here soon and I want to be a part of it for as long as it lasts. I saw a guy on TV, 101 years old playing golf. He didn't look a day over 100.

Cmdr.B

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"