VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Temporary Disability

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

My husband may need heart surgery again(it's been 9 yrs since his last by-passes), and I thought I saw

somewhere about temporary disability. He is not sc for heart, but sc for depression. Can anyone tell me

anything about this?

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

The VA will pay (after formal claim is received)

a Temporary Total Disability payment if:

1.the veteran is treated in excess of 21 days for a service connected condition and

2.even if the hospitalization is for a non service connected condition- as long as treatment in excess of 21 days for the SC disability occurs while hopsitalized, the veteran can received a check for one month of Total VA SC comp.

The logic is clear-

21 days of continuous treatment for a SC condition- means that the veteran- for what VA then considers a month- is unemployable due to SC, for that month ( regardless if the NSC is what prompted the hospitalization).

38 CFR 4.29 2005

Berta! Can you answer this, if I had hospital treatment up till the time I was transfered to VAMC to await discharge from the service and continued treatment. Shouldn't I have been considered for a temporary disability rating, while awaiting my discharge even though the VAMC sent me home on furlow to wait out my time before I received my discharge from the service?

Jim S. :P

Jim- if you continued to receive military pay up to your discharge- this would preclude a temp VA comp pay-in my way of thinking-

Others might disagree -hope they post here- interesting question-

I certainly feel any vet, treated continuously in a hospital for any SC disability should file for this benefit. The regs also say hospitalization-I dont know if you would fall into that category in this situation.