Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

File A New Claim?

Rate this question

combatmedic2004

Question

I was diagnosed with Tinnitus by the VA at an appointment this morning. I am a combat vet already service-connected for PTSD at 50%. I am wondering if it is even worth my time to file a claim for the Tinnitus. I have a few questions.

1. I went through hell with my 3 PTSD C&P exams, is it worth going through it again just to be called a liar? How will I benefit from this?

2. Does anyone know if they require a C&P exam for Tinnitus and if so, what does it consist of?

3. If service-connected, will my rating be increased to 60%?

I'm just weighing all options. I know that "it couldnt hurt." I just went through hell with C&P exams the first 3 times. I'm not sure I want to go through with all of that again.

Thanks

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was diagnosed with Tinnitus by the VA at an appointment this morning. I am a combat vet already service-connected for PTSD at 50%. I am wondering if it is even worth my time to file a claim for the Tinnitus. I have a few questions.

1. I went through hell with my 3 PTSD C&P exams, is it worth going through it again just to be called a liar? How will I benefit from this?

2. Does anyone know if they require a C&P exam for Tinnitus and if so, what does it consist of?

3. If service-connected, will my rating be increased to 60%?

I'm just weighing all options. I know that "it couldnt hurt." I just went through hell with C&P exams the first 3 times. I'm not sure I want to go through with all of that again.

Thanks

I am SC for tinnitus all I had to do was take a hearing test inside this big fridge looking box, they asked me about my symptoms I told them about the ringing and headaches and hearing loss which is documented. Not a bad test at all took little time also in my opinion. But weird thing is they denied me for hearing loss they said I had only an average decibal loss of 15.5 when they start rating at a loss of 26 decibels... go figure??

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

• HadIt.com Elder

Its worth 10% and using VA math you would be 60% which is probably a cou-le of hundred bucks a month.

I am interested in your 50% PTSD are you able to work and earn a living? If not you probably should be rated higher.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't file until you have a nexus from a audiologist. Print off the nexus form found in my signature line and fill it out, then take it back to the audiologist at the VA to sign. Once you file your claim, they will most likely have you do a audiology C&P, just to check your hearing as well. There is really no way to test for tinnitus. If you don't have the nexus, though, the VA will most likely shoot it down. Pete is also right on the increase to 60%. Your actual combined rating would go to 55%, and that will round up to 60%. Good luck!

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder
Don't file until you have a nexus from a audiologist. Print off the nexus form found in my signature line and fill it out, then take it back to the audiologist at the VA to sign. Once you file your claim, they will most likely have you do a audiology C&P, just to check your hearing as well. There is really no way to test for tinnitus. If you don't have the nexus, though, the VA will most likely shoot it down. Pete is also right on the increase to 60%. Your actual combined rating would go to 55%, and that will round up to 60%. Good luck!

A new claim however, can spark a review into your current rating for PTSD and you may even given a C&P exam all over again- just a word of caution.

I was just service-connected for PTSD 2 months ago. I would hope that they wouldnt do another C&P for that so soon?

To answer the other question, I am currently able to work and wil so as long as I can. As much as it drives me nuts, I think keeping to a schedule keeps me alive.

So they will do a C&P but it will basically be just to check for hearing loss?

I'm already service-connected, so what forms do I have to send in for this claim?

• HadIt.com Elder

It will not spark a review of your PTSD. The only time it does that is when you are "due or overdue" for a re-examination. Every time you get a rating, the rater has to assign a length of time till your next evaluation. These are pre-determined amounts of time. I can't remember the specific lengths of time, but something like 18 months, 3 years, etc. Of course with the VA being the slowest creature in the government, they often forget to do these re-exams. So if you were supposed to have a re-exam in 2007 but they slipped on it, and you file a new claim in 2009, they are going to notice that you are overdue for a re-exam and schedule it. It still gives people the "big bad wolf" mentality, but that's nt what it is at all. Go ahead and file the claim when you have all your evidence lined up.

Edit: missed a question. All you need to do is write "I would like to file a claim for service connected compensation for tinnitus." on a VA Form 21-4138 and send it via certified mail, return receipt requested to the RO. A PDF version of the form is available at the VA's web site. It is a fillable version, so you don't even have to hand write it. Just type in the information and hit print.

Edited by rentalguy1

90%, TDIU P&T