VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Scores And Bipolar Disorder

Rate this question

Scott D

Question

When it comes to the VA rating Bipolar disorder, how much weight does the assigned GAF score carry? Also would it be worth while to mention, maybe some medical prinouts, that due to the symptomolgy associated with BP GAF scores may vary. Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

VA's use of GAF scores is hard to pen down, but usually if the GAF score is reflected in the evidence that is in the records, then they can be helpful in supporting the claim. But if they do not reflect the evidence, then it is a toss up as to how the VA will view them.

Jim S. :P

I believe there is a manual DMSV IV that the VA requires be followed. So as far a GAF is concerned it is just one of many diagnostic tools used. It is VERY subjective and therefore carries vary little water. However, if your provider believes that based on your situation, and the GAF score assigned to you is an indication of their view of your state of mind at that time, you are having issues they may use the GAF score as rationalization for actions on their part. Such action may be to offer you a prescription or therapy of some other sort.

Greetings...

I can tell you from past experience that if you can FIND a Dr. that will actaully diagnose you as bi-polar...hang on to him/her. Dr's these days KNOW how to "word" your disability. And they are well aware what a dignosis of bi-polar causes...and they are very wary of placing that diagnosis in medical records. I have a brother that had to go through 3 years of appeals to get a bi-polar rating and it came from a VA Dr. 3 yrs AFTER he was discharged from the service. His GAF score was low, and his 3 year series of "torture" he was finally rated as 100% service connected. And...did I mention that the congressman were involved in this decision...?

Good Luck!