Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study Scheduled

Rate this question

hawkcrewchief

Question

So im up to bat next week to the sleep apnea lab, and I am a bit nervous about sleeping in a creppy room looking like a robot full of probes. Does anyone know what happens, and what I should do or expect? Thanks in advance

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've had two sleep studies, the first one was conducted in two parts over two nights...the second study was done all in one night.

It IS kind of scary, and it took a long time to get the wiring attached. Also, the first time they put a CPAP mask on me and turned the air on, it was a really weird sensation.

BUT....that first night with a CPAP in the hospital, I got about 6 straight hours of real, restful sleep. I walked out of their feeling like I was 18 again (well, maybe 24 again).

They use cameras and mikes to watch you and communicate, but the bed was ok, not a hospital bed, but a real bed.

If you have SA, this test will definitely prove it. CPAP is a pain in the a$$, but life is immeasurably better with it than without.

Good Luck!

MSgt, USAF (retired)

100% P&T Schedular

I agree with dwi..get the sleep study done, and do everything they tell you. I had one done a year ago, and now use a CPAP. Make sure your "mask" fits well. If it doesnt work well, leaks, etc..go back and get a different type of mask. The mask is critically important, and what works for me probably wont work for you. I like the nose only kind..nothing over my mouth..it does not "block" my view.

The benefits of CPAP, if you need one, and if you use it correctly are enormous. For me, it was life or death. I have an enlarged right side of my heart..the right side is overworked because I stopped breathing 67 times per hour..and dropped my oxygen levels. My doc explained that if I did not treat this condition, my right side of my heart would enlarge more..until it was out of balance..and develop arrythmias..and then..the heart detiorates ultimately resulting in death. It takes a while to do this, but it is almost a certainty that it happens unless I treat it, and CPAP is the preferred treatment.

The CPAP is a pain in the neck but not that bad.. a minor irritation..but a CPAP is to a sleep apnea person as insulin is to a diabetic..its the difference between life and death.

It has been my experience that the VA does not give the 50% sc RATING for CPAP..they always find a way to deny it. Yes, I would like to get SC for it, but my health is more important to me than my disability rating.

Hawk,

It's not that bad. Guarranteed, you will have a good night's rest. Make yourself comfy, fantasize, good times, music, etc..Some patients next door or next bed might be ahead of you & sleeping like a baby already. Just ignore them!is there a probl

Better you go to google.com and search for "what happens in sleep study test". This way, you will have a better feel & understanding.

Here's my experience in Y2002:

> Checked in late as instructed. I recalled bringing my own pillow!

> Sleep technician pasted few stuffs(connected to the sleep monitoring machine) in my front body. No needles!

> Surprisingly, I went to sleep right away, starting @midnight. I knew, I was being monitored

> After few hours, the technician woke me up and let me put on a CPAP. Again, I slept like a baby, and he finally woke me up @0630am. That was it...

> Then, they forwarded my sleep study report(after 2 days) to my private Sleep Doctor. Acquired the CPAP thereafter.

** Now, I can't live w/o it. Got used to it even in my travels. Wife also slept better since CPAP arrival. Imagine, she also suffered for 20+ yrs from my loud snoring, etc..

If this is part of your Sleep Apnea claim, I wish you the best of luck!!

From Bob,

4th Inf. Div; Central Highland Campaign

Yes I had an injury in the Army to my nase which caused a fracture, it also seems to have given me a deviated septum, I can hardly breathe because it always has a restriction for the air coming thru. I will try to claim the sleep apnea due to this injury, since the VA sleep apnea docotor who refered me to the study said he is sure my nose is causing the problem. I just dont know how to do it since my nose injury is not SC but well documented, with an x-ray of the fracture...? Any ideas...?

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

I don't want to mislead you as I am still learning this very complex VA stuff....

Berta, Pete and others....Please help out..Thanks!

From Bob,

4th Inf. Div; Central Highland Campaign

I HAD THE TEST DONE TWICE. I JUST DIDN'T LIKE ALL THE THINGS THEY HAD TO HOOK UP TO ME TO DO THE TEST. ONCE THEY STARTED IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE, ESPECIALLY THE SECOND TIME BECAUSE I WORE THE CPAP. AFTER THAT I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA. NOW I HAVE TO SLEEP WITH A CPAP AND YOU DO GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP.