Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ivds/ddd And Spinal Fusion? Post-op

Rate this question

Quint7

Question

Hi all, I'm almost 3 weeks post-op for a L4-5 spinal fusion (feel better than in 10 years!) and I am about 5 weeks post DRO hearing seeking SC for IVDS/DDD.

My question is, if I ever get another exam (as the DRO hearing officer said she wanted me to have), should I make a point of the fact that although I NOW have a spinal fusion at one level (L4-5), I STILL have IVDS/DDD at the next level down (L5-S1) and therefore should be service connected for BOTH. Not compensated, but SC. I don't think that now I will have any ratable issues from the IVDS/DDD in the short term other than surgery induced limited range of motion, and I'm pretty sure that a spinal fusion is an automatic 40%.

My issue is that the effects of IVDS/DDD don't go away, the fusion will put stress on the next level higher and therefore I want the VA to list me as SC for BOTH IVDS/DDD and the Fusion that resulted from it.

Any thoughts? I know seeking comp. for both at this time would be pyramiding..... or at least I think it would.

Thanks!

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Ugh........... I had to buy Crocs.... with fuzzy inserts cause it's 3 degrees here. I'm so ashamed.........

Mike, are you SC for your fusions? Maybe you can shed a litle light on how they rated you if you are.

I hope them things ain't got them pink fuzzy inserts!!!

Most embarressing thing ever! (the Crocs). Though they are at least black with black inserts. I had read all kinds of horror stories online about the post-op stuff and other than some REALLY tough pain for a couple of weeks, most of it hasn't panned out. Again, I didn't have any fractures, so maybe that's it.

And I don't think it was the pencils that were too heavy VMO, it was all of those mugs of coffee you probably carried around the office! LOL

Glad the explination helped out and thanks for the heads up on the 100% temp.

Qunit-if I were you I would file for the SC knee Temp Convalescent rating.

This BVA decision has the regs:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0811376.txt

Somewhere I heard that this type of claim had a time limit in filing but I do not see any time limit at all in these regs.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.